Driveshaft Question

Leecon

Registered
I'm going to be replacing my driveshaft to eliminate the high speed viberation common to our cars. What is the meaning of the term "Metal Matrix" and how does one of this type differ from others. Also, I know that Dennis Reinhart sells these, but there is a shop here that does nothing but driveshafts. Shouldn't I be able to get a comparable one locally?

I will greatly appreciate any driveshaft recommendations/information. I know that I may have been able to find this information with the "other" board's SEARCH function, but I wanted to ask here so we can add to the information available with our own search engine. Again thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lee Head

RE: Driveshaft Question

most local places dont do any thing but steel shafts. if you have a good local place that will do aluminum then you mite be just fine. check pices first. if it is not cheaper then the one dennis sells then dont get it. also you will want to take your drive shaft off and bring it to them so they can balence it with the front yoke and rear pinon yoke also get new U-joints as well.

Lee, heres the link to the real deal shaft. http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com

This is the one we were discussing at my house when you were up here.

There is a major difference and its NOT the price at all, although $475.00 shipped from Denny's is a KILLER hard to beat price, the real difference is the workmanship and quality. I have never ever seen a driveshaft better then this one anywhere.

Also something that Denny's has over everyone in this business is the ability to spin balance up to 10,000 rpm's!!

His also utilizes far less weight to balance than any others I have personally seen.
Less weight to balance quite simply means a better starting material and better welds.

Metal Matrix explained ............

Metal Matrix explained ............

I'm going to be replacing my driveshaft to eliminate the high speed viberation common to our cars. What is the meaning of the term "Metal Matrix" and how does one of this type differ from others. Also, I know that Dennis Reinhart sells these, but there is a shop here that does nothing but driveshafts. Shouldn't I be able to get a comparable one locally?

I will greatly appreciate any driveshaft recommendations/information. I know that I may have been able to find this information with the "other" board's SEARCH function, but I wanted to ask here so we can add to the information available with our own search engine. Again thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lee Head

Lee, click below:

http://www.knovel.com/knovel2/Toc.jsp?BookID=516

A Little long and technical, but it's the best explination of the material I have ever found.

RE: Metal Matrix explained ............

Thanks Geno, just what I was looking for.

Lee

Geno, exactly which driveshaft are you talking about? I went to the site, and I'm impressed, but the driveshaft I think you're talking about (HD Aluminum) has this warning: "Heavyweight vehicles, 3400 lbs or greater, with clutches and trans brakes should stick with the...steel driveshafts." Granted, most of us aren't running clutches or trans brakes, but these cars are pigs -- nearly 4000 lbs -- which could be rough on the aluminum. So is this still the recommended driveshaft? I'm highly interested in knowing your thoughts, as I'll probably upgrade my driveshaft at some point.

Geno, exactly which driveshaft are you talking about? I went to the site, and I'm impressed, but the driveshaft I think you're talking about (HD Aluminum) has this warning: "Heavyweight vehicles, 3400 lbs or greater, with clutches and trans brakes should stick with the...steel driveshafts." Granted, most of us aren't running clutches or trans brakes, but these cars are pigs -- nearly 4000 lbs -- which could be rough on the aluminum. So is this still the recommended driveshaft? I'm highly interested in knowing your thoughts, as I'll probably upgrade my driveshaft at some point.

Metal Matrix is HD Aluminum. There talking about monster power cars.

This works perfect on all Marks. We also have these for the Mustang as well as the Marauder and CV/GM.

This would be the one you want.

Geno, Dennis, et.al.,

in reading this thread, I am curious about something. Didn't the 93 M8's come with a one piece aluminum driveshaft that precludes the need to buy a MM or other similar type shaft? I have a 93 (parts car) and a 94 and I an thinking that I will swap the shaft out on. I figure buying new u-joints and hardware should make this a good move. Is this correct or should I just buy the MM shaft?

Any information about the proper route to take is greatly appreciated. BTW, anyone can feel free to answer these questions, not just Geno and Dennis!! ;) - Thanks guys.

m
1993 Mark VIII
1994 Mark VIII
1990 Tbird SC
and a whole lot more than there is room to list!!

I would buy a new MMCDS. The new joints and hardware might change the balance of the 93's DS. To me... it is not worth the trouble.

I would also replace the trans tail shaft seal - if it needs it, or not. Why take a chance? I am not one to dink around with my Mark, and I hate working on it. When I have to fix something, I do it up right, and get on with what I love most about the Mark - driving it! :)

Geno, Dennis, et.al.,

in reading this thread, I am curious about something. Didn't the 93 M8's come with a one piece aluminum driveshaft that precludes the need to buy a MM or other similar type shaft? I have a 93 (parts car) and a 94 and I an thinking that I will swap the shaft out on. I figure buying new u-joints and hardware should make this a good move. Is this correct or should I just buy the MM shaft?

Any information about the proper route to take is greatly appreciated. BTW, anyone can feel free to answer these questions, not just Geno and Dennis!! ;) - Thanks guys.

m
1993 Mark VIII
1994 Mark VIII
1990 Tbird SC
and a whole lot more than there is room to list!!

1) Yes the 93 to 93.5 did come with a one piece shaft.

I have personally seen 4.10's work fine on very RARE occasions with the 1 piece shaft.

2) You can take your gamble and try it, but then if it vibrates (99% chance it will) then your paying for the new shaft and labor, when you could have the shaft replaced for free while the rear is out for the gear swap.

Geno,I didn't read your link,but its my understanding that metal matrix is a composite material that is lighter than alluminum and stronger than steel.

there are a lot of other good companies as well but the ones up top are good choices. i like mark williams my self what is what we use on all of our race cars and those do see some crazy RPM's.

Here is the link for the original made for the Mark 8 WWW.ReinhartAutomotive.com

This was the original made for the club.
These shafts are sent any where in the USA free UPS ground.

all drive shafts are balanced at a minimum of 6000 RPM

all drive shafts are balanced to under .25 oz - inches

all drive shaft run outs are to be with in .015

U Joint clearances are to be .002 0r less

all balance weights are fused welded to shaft tube

all drive shafts are rebalanced after welding

all drive shafts are manufactured with Dana Spicer parts

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/008/7C/E0/66/53/kvVvoU9ognpay-e9sAeI9yLrVgwFP2gV0180.jpg

In response to Comment 2 huh. Why would you respond to a competitors honest attepmt to help someone with a question nearly a month after the original question was asked. Just curious?????????

Back