Transmission Flush

Mycophiles

Registered
I have been getting the tranny shimmy since I got my mark. I've now driven it 4000 miles and the shimmy was starting to "spread" to other parts of the shifting procedure so I figured I would finally flush it. Incidently the only place that would do it was the dealership.

I've noticed now that the transmission works quite differently. For instance the torque at around 27-28 miles and hour used to be pretty good. I used to be able to hit the pedel fairly lightly and get immediate torque. I had become used to it. Now its not there. It's there but I have to press harder and the torque isnt instant. (but wouldnt be noticed on a track) To sum it up in the 25-38 mph range it feels like I have less torque. The transmission is definately smoother. The shifts are very smooth now. Much much smoother. It compliments the whole ride actually. The tranny has 148XXX miles on it and it still runs strong. The flush fixed all the shimmies.

Just wanted to share with you all.

edit: sorry guys This post is in the wrong place. I should have posted it elsewhere. If mods are around could you please move it? Thanks,

RE: Transmission Flush

Incidently the only place that would do it was the dealership.

I get mine flushed every 20,000 miles by a "trusted friend" at a local kwik kar lube place.

I bring my own mercron 5 and he discounts the normal cost about 50%
usually they charge around 70-80 bucks to do a "normal flush" with regular fluid, since I bring my own tranny juice he cuts me a break.

I'm pretty sure anyplace would do the same.. but.. WHO DO YOU TRUST.
You probably did OK by going to the dealer.

Only question...
Did you/they use Mercron 5?

I always questioned the term 'flush', but lately I found this TSB which answered the question.

A/T - New Transmission Cooler Flusher/Service Tip
Article No.
00-1-5

01/10/00

TRANSMISSION - NEW TRANSMISSION COOLER FLUSHER - SERVICE TIP

ISSUE
A new transmission cooler flusher has been released, Rotunda part number 222-00001 This new flusher has many enhancements. It will improve the ability to remove contamination from the transmission cooling system and help prevent repeat repairs. Some of the enhancements include: a pulsating action that will loosen system contamination. In addition, the flusher uses heated Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) to remove varnish and wax buildup, restoring transmission cooling system effectiveness.

ACTION
The transmission cooling system (cooler and lines) MUST be flushed anytime the transmission is overhauled or replaced to prevent repeat repairs. The use of this new flusher (222-00001) is the most effective way to remove contamination from the cooling system and, in most cases, eliminate the need to replace the transmission cooler. Varnish and contamination that is left in the transmission cooler system after a failure will damage a transmission if not cleaned out properly. The new cooler flusher is a quick and effective way to clean the contamination out of the transmission cooling system.
Copyright © 2003 ALLDATA LLC

I was anal about them using mercon V so if they didnt then I would be pissed!!! There's really no way for me to confirm that they did/didnt though.

There's really no way for me to confirm that they did/didnt though.

Smell it... seriously, open a container of Mercon and take a good whiff. Then do the same for Mercon V. Phewwww!

Back