Rear Differential

Black Stallion

Registered
OK, a stupid question but....
Is the factory rear carrier housing on Mark VIII aluminum or cast iron? TBird IRS is cast iron. Are they interchangable?
Thanks,

Artist fomerly known as "SuperScooter"
97 Blk LSC

RE: Rear Differential

They are interchangeable, although Mark VIIIs have aluminum housings. If it were me, I'd stick with the lighter one.

also, if I were you and getting new gears (can I infer that from the rest of your posts?), I would just get a whole new pumkin, with a posi locker (if you want one). If you jsut want to change the gears from the 3.07, i believe that you have to change the carrier as well (someone correct me if I am wrong). Word on the street is that it is just a hair over $600 from FPN or 5 Star Ford.

I would just get a whole new pumkin, with a posi locker (if you want one).
Sorry, I have to correct this, this a pet peeve of mine (please don't take any offense) :) The FMS aluminum diff is neither a posi nor a locker. It's a Traction-Lok diff (Ford's limited slip differential) (and comes with 3.73 gears). Positraction is a GM limited slip diff. A locker is another type of diff design entirely (not clutch-based like the Trac-Lok and Posi).

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

I'm confused. I could've sworn my 83 Mustang had a posi-trak.

Sorry Sharon.. it was "traction lok".

It's the closest thing you can get to a true posi without running a "spool" type device.

Track-Lok is was also called, but not sure if that term is correct.

Back