Engine Overheat with Gears

Black Stallion

Registered
There was somethinng mentioned in the past about egine overheating when using 4:10 gears. Does anyone know if this was true and if so, is there a fix? I want to do gears but I need the car to be drivable in the hot Kansas summers.
Thanks,
Artist fomerly known as "SuperScooter"
97 Blk LSC

RE: Engine Overheat with Gears

put in a cooler T-stat, run an oil cooler, that would bring the temp down.

I thought it was specific to either the gen 1 or the gen 2, can't remember which. But i don't think a colder thermostat would solve the problem, i think it was something like cavitation at higher water-pump speeds. I think a set of underdrive pullies would be more likely to cure the problem.

4.10 gears made no difference in the cooling in 2 cars for me. A '94 car and a '95 car in the heat and humidity of North Carolina. Both cars had 180 degree thermostats before the gears went in. The cars rarely see 80+ mph though so maybe the problems that have been observed by others are when cruising at higher speeds. The only time the needle moves a little higher than usual is when climbing a grade. Even the slightest grade causes the needle to move up a bit but never more than one letter in the "normal" operating range but it did that before the gears too.

Steve

I have 4.10s and underdrive pullies. The underdrives made the problem worse, not better. At sustained high speeds the car cools off. If I drive in a lower gear, say, with overdrive off, the car stays cooler. I assume this is from higher pump speeds for a longer period of time.

I have 4.10's also. the only problem I have is keeping the car from going sideways. LOL!

Back