Fuel pump going bad?

Goalie

Registered
My gas gauge/sending unit is gone. It will not show a full tank and it shows empty when there is still 8 litres or so left.

The car is running a little rough at idle while in gear. It is almost not noticeable, but I notice it. No codes come up on the scanner. On a 950 KM trip on the weekend there was a drone/hum at 85-90 miles an hour that was not there at other speeds or when I let off of the gas at this speed range. At the half way point of the trip I was off of the highway in the city and pulled up to a stoplight, the car died, all electrical stayed on but the engine cut out. It started right back up. This has happened a couple of times now when pulling into a parking space.

The fuel filter is less than a year old so I am thinking that it is a bad pump and sending unit.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

RE: Fuel pump going bad?

Before my pump when out, it would act like it was running out of gas when the "miles to empty" was below 20. That was the only symptom it had. Then one day it would not allow the car to run. I ended up towing it to the dealer (under warranty.)

RE: Fuel pump going bad?

The car is running a little rough at idle while in gear. It is almost not noticeable, but I notice it. No codes come up on the scanner.
...the car died, all electrical stayed on but the engine cut out. It started right back up. This has happened a couple of times now when pulling into a parking space.

Sorry I can't help but I can say I've experienced the same problem. Idle always feels a little rough, but not bad enough to worry me too much. I've had it die on me a couple of times, too, but only after being stuck in a traffic jam for 10+ minutes (lots of time at idle). Loading the engine with the A/C or making a turn seems to make it die. Always starts right up, though, as long as the load has been removed from the engine (A/C off, etc). FYI my plugs and fuel filter are brand new. The fact that it happens after an extended idle makes me think it's a charging system issue.

But back to your problem, if your fuel gauge is acting funny, I'd suspect the sender, too. What you might try first, though, is taking your car up to AutoZone and have them run a charging system test. These cars are known to do wacky, wacky things when the battery and/or alternator are on the way out, and it's easy enough to rule that one out first. Just a thought.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

Back