Well, something is leaking

jbuch

Registered
I'd like to pretend I know stuff about cars, but I still have a lot to learn. I checked oil, transmission, power steering, brake, and coolant levels, all looked fine. The stuff doesn't really have a smell to it, so that leads me to believe coolant. But if I knew I wouldn't have posted ;-)

Here's some pics to see where it's leaking
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeff82x/leakzoomout.jpg

It is dripping off of the yellow/goldish tube
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeff82x/leakzoomin.jpg

And this is what I collected in the container
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeff82x/leakfluid.jpg

Man, I really feel stupid asking that, but I guess that's the way to learn.

RE: Well, something is leaking

Looks a little like brake fluid to me too. If the oil was recently changed and really clean could it be the rear main seal.

How long has it been leaking? Did it start just after an oil change?
Do you park on a hill? How long did it take for the amount in the cup to accumulate? A little more info may help identify it.

I've looked at the pic a little closer, and it looks like that line could be rubbing up against metal. From the looks of the blow back pattern it's been leaking something for a while. Maybe it's been just seeping out and now the hole has gotten larger. Just something to check. Good Luck

Im pretty sure that gold / yellow tube is the rear brake line.

The fluid looks like either dirty brake fluid or clean oil.

Today is the first day that it has dripped on the ground.
I changed the oil about a week ago, but it (the fluid) seems too thin to be oil.
The car was parked on flat ground.
The amount in the cup accumulated in an hour or two.

When I looked in from the top I really couldn't see anything. I think over the weekend I will have to take the plastic fender wall off and see if that clears things up at all.

I concur with the brake fluid. Now for my "stupid" question: Have you checked your master cylinder to see if the level dropped?

Keep us posted, I've learned alot from reading about other's misfortunes (sorry in advance for how that sounds), but these cars aren't as scary when you experience a problem and can say, "Hooooyeah -- I read about this on the LOD site!!!!"

From where that appears to be dripping, I'm thinking it's too far forward to be a rear main seal. It almost looks like antifreeze, but the smell would definitely be there.

Ok, I'm done talking now........

Not to add to the confusion, but I think it looks like antifreeze. Perhaps it's leaking along the firewall, going into or out of the heater core.

That's a real tight area, but if you slip some cardboard or paper bag material under those hoses or above the pipes underneath, you may be able to narrow it down.

I had a similar leak when the car was new and it took the dealer, who needed three attempts to figure it out. So, keep at it.

Good luck.

I agree it looks like brake fluid.

Is that Missing paint right above that line in the picture?
If so, it's a pretty good bet that you are leaking brake fluid.

It also appears that the line in that picture may have a kink or bend or is that a "drop of fluid" hanging off of the line.

looks like leaking brake fluid.

I'm gonna concur on the brake fluid thing. I originally thought antifreeze, because it looks like really weakly mixed, dirty coolant, but i can't see any way it would have gotten there, and i hope your coolant looks better than that :).

Are you getting a soft pedal when you hit the brakes? If that's the metal line that's screwed up, there are two ways to fix it: The right way, and the other way that will work. The right way would be to remove the brake line, grind off the rust, prime, paint, and replace the entire steel line. The other way that will work is to cut the line where it is messed up, flare both ends slightly, get a piece of brake hose and fit it over both ends, with two clamps on each side.

Good luck, and if you need a hand, let me know. I'll be glad to stand there, drink beer, and hand you tools. But i'll be putting my friends dodge back together this weekend (he finally got all the engine parts in!).

Yep, that's missing paint :-( And it's a drop of fluid hanging there.

The braking feels fine... for now anyway.

Dave, I just might have to take you up on your offer

Yep, that's missing paint :-( And it's a drop of fluid hanging there.
[/quote
The braking feels fine... for now anyway.
[/quote]
Every time you use your brake a little more is going to be forced out. Be safe :)
[/quote]

Every time you use your brake a little more is going to be forced out. Be safe :)

I've tried to adjust my driving accordingly. I pretty much assume that I won't be able to stop, so I stay farther behind cars, and start braking much earlier, while I still have time to react to a failure.

Obviously, the best idea would be to not drive the car...

Just keep an eye on the brake fluid level, and don't let the problem go too long (can you tell I've had one or 2 troublesome cars in my lifetime?)

Back