"CHECK ENGINE" - HELP!

ROCKYTOP

Registered
Hi All!
Well, aftere just 1 1/2 months of owning my 98 LSC, the "CHECK ENGINE" warning light came on yesterdsay. Would appreciate any help from my fellow owners. Symptoms:
Engine ran smooth from a cold start, and then suddenly, after driving for about 5 miles it started to miss intermittently. The warning light didn't come on right away, but after about another two miles it lit up. After another 3 miles, with the engine running smoothly shortly, and then misfiring, the light started blinking. The light would alternate from steady to flashing mode for the next 10 miles when I got to my home.
After letting it sit for about two hours, I went out and started it and the "CHECK ENGINE" light stayed on and it ran smoothly till the engine got a notch below normal running temperature. It then began to start misfiring again.
The has just turned over 78,000 miles and has been perfect. What do I need to do to diagnose the problem? Some kind of diagnostic's analyzer? Can a parts house help me with diagnostic's?
Thanks in advance to all for any help with this problem.... ..Jack..

P.S.-Posted this message on both sites for maximum exposure.:-(

RE: "CHECK ENGINE" - HELP!

you will more than likely have to either borrow a code reader or go to a shop to have the codes cleared but as far as the problem goes, there are a few things that it could be. Easiest, check and see if there is any moisture down in the spark plug holes. Alot of moisure, like a puddle will cause the plug to short out to the block and not make a spark. While you have all of that apart, check the condiotion of your boots and check the springs inside of them. This is a good opportunity to change the plugs actually, if you havent done so already. Give everything a srase coat of dielectric grease and anti-sieze on the plug threads and re-assemble. If that doesnt do it, you can start checking the continuity on your coils and try and find a bad one (or 5 in my case). I dont know the check values, but ill look into it. If all of that fails, depress the schraeder valve on the drivers side fuel rail and just see if any fuel comes out (it should and ata decent pressure). If you have reason to be concerned, take it to a shop and have the fuel pressure checked just to be sure. If it is bad, start by changing the fuel filer. After that look to broken lines (Are you elaking gas???) and then get skeptical on the fuel pump. The same thing happened to me and I am still ironing it out after a few bad rounds with the dealership. Should be all set tomorrow after I replace part of a fuel hose. Good luck, let me know if I can be of any more help

The best thing is to get the codes read. You don't have to take it to the dealer, any good local shop will have a hand held one. Or you can try the large chain auto stores, they may read them for free.

Could be cracked coil boots or bad O2s, but you don't want to guess.

Thanks for your replies!
Know an ex Ford mechanic that has an OBD-II reader. Will do the testing and get read-outs for $15.00. Sounds cheap enough to me! Will pass on what the problem/s are on this thread when I find out.
Also, in the Owner's Manual it states that water in the fuel or an improperly closed fuel cap can trigger the "Check Engine" light. Also poor fuel quality and running out of fuel has the same effect. I use 93 octane Texaco and keep it topped off so I don't think that this is part of the equation................. ....Jack....

You say it only happens when engine comes up to temperature. The computer has several running strategies, this is one of the specific engine management strategies. Unless under WOT it involves EGR recycling exhaust gases and dynamic fuel mixture based on DPFE upstream/downstream feedback and HO2S feed back. Low fuel pressure, plugs etc., when the light stays on, the engine is running in another strategy - minimal operational - no advance, static mixture - low performance. Check your oil, is it clean or is there fuel mixed in with it? Check electrical and vacume connections, check grounds.

Don't spend money fixing until you get the Codes and follow diagnostic procedures - buy the shop manual and emissions diagnosis from Hemmings - about 2,000 pages.

There are 100s of codes, some of the diagnostics procedures for a code have over a hundred steps - very involved and time consuming - find a good shop and let them do it.

Christopher Bennett
Bristow, VA
93 Black LSC

RE:

RE:

Hi Gang!
Took her in today and had the OBD-II done and the only problem that showed up was that #1 and #8 cylinders were misfiring. Looks like it's time to check the coils and plugs. Glad it wasn't anything worse.
Many thanks to all, especially Steve for photo's, etc. Will drop a reply after the "case is closed"! ....Jack....

Please correct Hemmings to Helm Inc. Wrong bookshelf.

Christopher Bennett
Bristow, VA
93 Black LSC

Final Analysis!
After thinking that the worst things imaginable happened with the engine in my '98 LSC, it all came down to matter of water/moisture being the demon in my COP/plug compartment.
This car ran perfect for almost two months before developing the "CHECK ENGINE" syndrome. When I bought it off the dealer, of course I popped the hood, checked the oil, etc. and noticed how clean everything was. Apparantly the reason the problem developed was because they used a high pressure wand to clean up the engine and water got passed the rubber grommet, which covers the harness where it enters the coil/plug compartment, and down passed the coil boots in cylinders #1 & #8 after a matter of time. There was also moisture and water droplets under the compartment cover. The plugs actually had rust on them, but the electrodes were not too bad. I replaced them with new ones, cleaned up the whole mess with solvent, used plenty of silicone, reset the RAM to turn off the "CHECK ENGINE" lamp, and now she's running like a champ!
Many thanks for all of the help. One thing that amazed me was how easy it was to do the whole job on this engine. I'm sure other repairs can be a lot tougher, but this one was a snap! Next comes the fuel filter............... ....Jack....

Back