Thermostat Housing Leak

Kasper

Registered
I licked the overheating problem in Phil's car, turned out that the electric waterpump was inoperative, I do not know why, looks pretty beefy. Any way I filled it up with water, drove it around the block a few times and the temp held between the "M" and the "A". So I figured what the hell lets take it out on the free way. I drove it for about fifteen miles one way with no problem going or returning. On the way back though the Low engine coolant warning kicks on? I'm about 2 miles from the house and the temp is holding so I go on home. I pull the hood latch and sure enough the reservoir is not as full as it was when I left. I look under the car and there is a small but steady squirt of water coming from where the two pieces meet and seal with the rubber gasket. I have removed and re-tightened this thing like 3 times, each time yeilding the same results...a leak. Other than a faulty rubber seal does anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this? It is driving me nuts. I'm going to get a new gasket today, but I'm too pissed to work on the car anymore right now.

Oh yea just a side not, this car has 4:56's in it and other than burning rubber and secong gear chirping, this car like really sucks on the freeway. It's no doubt a sprinter and not a marathon runner. There is no such thing as hitting it from 70 MPH. it turns 2500 rpm's @ 70 MPH. I personally would not enjoy this car as a daily driver, but for the dragstrip it's awesome. for me personally there is something to be said for a quick acceleration from 70 to 100+. just my .02 any help on the leak would be appreciated.

RE: Thermostat Housing Leak

Yea man there is a o ring in there. THe o ring is most likely torn. I do not remember a conventional gasket on there, jsut an o ring.

Put in new gasket, held fine. Drove car down the street, water starts escaping again? Replace T-stat housing...obsolete part from ford. Suggestions...anyone?

It has to be cracked. I used to have an extra one laying around, but I would bet it is in casper somwhere. Ask Daniel R if he has one laying around. He has a couple of engines laying around his place. IF that does not work, try looking on car-parts.com and start calling some of thsoe guys htat have mark VIII parts if they have that piece. Hope that helps

My friend just had the alternator housing welded on his Spirit, he ended up getting it done for free (knew someone). You might want to take it to a radiator shop (a place that builds custom radiators and re-cores radiators, not some schmuck who just installs them) and see what they can do. It's probably a 5 minute job for a guy with a TIG welder.

Back