When oil comes out of the bell housing plug?

RE: When oil comes out of the bell housing plug?

Sounds like the seal that seals around the convertor. ALso could be the plug in the convertor.

Remove the rubber plug and clean up the leakage as much as possible. Turn the engine over while looking through the hole at the torque converter. Look for a small 1/8" pipe plug in the torque converter. The plug may be leaking, or you could have a leak from the transmission front seal, a pump to case bolt, the torque converter housing seam or a converter to flywheel stud weld.

From the manual:

When a converter drain plug leaks, remove the drain plug with a six-point wrench. Coat the threads with Pipe Sealant with Teflon® D8AZ-19554-A (ESG-M4G194-A and ESR-M18P7-A) or equivalent and install plug. Tighten the drain plug to 28-30 N-m (21-23 lb-ft). Fluid leakage from the converter housing may also be caused by engine oil leaking past the rear main bearing seal, or from oil galley plugs. Verify the exact cause of the leak before starting service procedures.

Driller,
Next year I'm just gonna' send my twenty bucks to you. :)

According to Ford the leak is coming from front pump at bell housing. Needs 8 hrs. labor to R&I plus parts. Has anyone purchased a whole new tranny from Max at 5star? That's what the mechanic told me a while back...to just buy a brand new tranny with a 35,000 mile warranty. Might be worth a drive to Phoenix if Max gives us a good enuff deal.

BTW, I posted a message on the 'other' board a few weeks ago about what a good deal I got from Max at 5star and the message disappeared overnite. Did I commit some kind of faux paus? Is Max working with this board only or something? Just curious.

Price for a new tranny from local Ford dealer = $1800.00
Price for a new tranny from 5star Ford, AZ = $1281.00

Yea, I'd say membership to this board is worth $20.00 a year.

Good stuff!

As always, Driller....my hat is off and I bow in your direction.

Back