Help, can't get tranny out

Ogar

Registered
I have a baumann engineering tranny that I am tring to install but the old tranny will not come out. I got 4 of the 7 bell housing bolts out as well as the converter bolts, and then undid the cross member and tried to lower the rear to tilt the tranny/motor to get to the 3 other bolts. However it did not tilt enough and the drive shaft would not drop either. Any hints.

RE: Help, can't get tranny out

You need about 3 feet of extension on your ratchet and you can get to them from behind the back of the tranny as it is tilted down slightly.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

did you take the gas tank out?? YOu ahve to take the gas tank out, and then the driveshaft. Then once you get all of that stuff out, you are going ot have to get a really long extension to get those top bolts. If you cannot do it from underneath the car you will have to remove the cowl and reach in down fro mteh top to get them off. Do not forget the starter either.

yea I took out the starter already and I did not take out the gas tank but I did tilt it down in the front. I am going to put 4.10's and a traclock in the pumkin, should I just remove the pumkin and the driveshaft together. Then I would not have to drop the tank, right?

P.S. are there just the 4 bolts holding it in there, and if you undo those bolts will the half-shafts fall out with it.

yea I took out the starter already and I did not take out the gas tank but I did tilt it down in the front. I am going to put 4.10's and a traclock in the pumkin, should I just remove the pumkin and the driveshaft together. Then I would not have to drop the tank, right?
P.S. are there just the 4 bolts holding it in there, and if you undo those bolts will the half-shafts fall out with it.

Ahh man... You are going ot have to take that driveshaft out to get the tranny out. Taking hte pumpkin out is a lot more work than the gas tank. To take the pumpkin out you have to take one of the rear tires take a whole bunch of crap off to get the halfshaft out, then undo the bolts on the pumpkin, tehn take it off. then you can slide the driveshaft out. YOu have a lot of work ahead of you. But you are going ot have to take that driveshaft out someway. YOu have to move the tranny back about 10" or so towards the rear of the car to get it to clear the convertor and stuff. Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

The tank has about a 1/2 tank in it. Is there a way to drain it

You dont have to drop the tank.Just undo the four bolts that hold the rear pumpkin in and undo the driveshaft bolts.The pumpkin will drop down and back a little.This gives you plenty of room to pull the driveshaft out and remove the tranny.
If you need any help call me.702 497 7470 Chris.

Who ever the Engineer that desinged the drive shaft to go above the gas tank needs to have the bejesus kick out of him or her. Is the best way to keep the engine tilted when the tranny comes out a jack or jack stand on the oil pan.

Yeah, I read that and wondered, "Has he ever changed the oil filter on these things?", 'cause that is one heck of a "tip off" right there!

Dont put a jack stand on the oil pan itself.It will bend upward.If you are worried about it try and grab it at the block.Or on the edge of the pan.

Back