feels like it slips in neutral while cruising

zebra

Registered
My wonderful car has done this before (a year ago) but out of the blue did it three times today.

It feels like it is slipping into neutral while cruising along. It did it at about 80, but also at slower speeds, too. No other problems, no warning lights. I let my foot off the gas and it eventually caught again. I revved it a little the next time it did it which didn't seem to make any difference.

I looked it up on the old site and saw reference to the MLPS (manual lever position sensor.) I'll be driving it tomorrow, and will pay close attention to if it does it again, and am going out to check the fluid level now. It has Mercon V, but not the 1-2 upgrade yet, though I have all the parts to do it...

Thanks in advance guys!

RE: feels like it slips in neutral while cruising

Zebra.....That's your MLP Sensor..

You should be able to get one for no more than $65 and either self install (bolts on the tranny) or have it done for $50-$90 total.....

Don't let anyone bull-ony you either....Get this done, and it should be fine...

"THE"
te
Aging Mark VIII
147k miles

I would do the MLP, but keep a eye on it. Had the same problem a few weeks ago and I needed to have my tranny rebuilt.

good way to know if you blew or are about to blow your tranny is to keep it in drive with overdrive on, normal driving then floor it, when my tranny went, the car would just redline when i punched it.

Valve body has to be retorqued?! What the heck is a valve body?

I drove it 100 miles today and it had no problems. Strange huh?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up the valve body on the cd before I do the 1-2 upgrade so I can re-torque it while I'm in there. I'll also replace the MLPS if it keeps this up.

I can do some mechanical stuff, but for the life of me can't seem to get a tie-rod off my tractor. It involves hitting it with a big hammer, which is not something I'm particularly inclined to do.
(unless I'm REALLY mad!!!!)

Hi te!

Zebra! Zebra! ZEBRA!!!!!

The MLP Sensor probem will wait days in between its foul-ups.......A messed up tranny wont give you any leeway like that..(just do it and stop thinking!!)

You need to heat up that tie rod with a torch...then whack away on it...be careful now!!

te
LM8

te, I believe you on the MLPS! I'll pick one up in the near future. I drive the car so rarely that it can afford to wait until I am at work to go get the part.

So, you want me to get my tractor hot and then hit it with a hammer?! hehe!

Valve body has to be retorqued?! What the heck is a valve body?

I drove it 100 miles today and it had no problems. Strange huh?

1. R&R 1-2 accumulator & spring(s).
2. Retorque valve body bolts.(Options: R&R 2-3 accumulator which requires removal of valve body. 'J-MOD' valve body).
3. R&R transmission filter.
4. Install drain plug in transmission pan(or buy new pan).
5. Install pan w/ new gasket(rubber - not cork)(torque bolts properly).
6. Install transmission cooler.
7. Use Mercon V. Replace fluid every 20,000 miles.

I had/have a similar problem.

Steph, try this..
If you haven't replaced the MLPS yet.
AND you can "get the car to duplicate" the problem.

When you get into the car reach under the dash in the area of the brake pedal and put your hand on the Computer "silver box" directly above the brake pedal.

is it cool to the touch?
If so, procede to step two.

Drive the car and as soon as you notice the problem, pull over in a safe location and "feel your computer again".
Is it HOT?

My car will do that from time to time, out of instinct I pull the chip off of my computer.. when I touch the computer it's HOT AS HELL...
Remove chip... tranny shifts fine.
reinstall chip..tranny shifts fine.
Different chip.. tranny shifts fine.

It seems like this happens when I've been driving for 3 or more hours... and everytime it happens.. the computer is REALLY HOT TO THE TOUCH.

Does anyone know whether these computers are supposed to RUN HOT like that?
When I say HOT I mean you wouldn't be able to hold it in your hand for more than 10 seconds.. HOT.

Zebe.. FEEL your PC and tell me if it's HOT.. that is if you haven't DOVE into the the MLPS yet.
ALSO.. let me know if the MLPS solved your issue.
"sounds like I might need one as well".

My problem is described as this.
Slipping into nuetral at high speeds
slipping into nuetral on HARD STOPS {just like it was low on tranny fluid}
But.. believe me, I've checked, rechecked and double triple checked the fluid level.
it's NOT low.
It's not needing changing {just changed 6000 miles ago}

The car hasn't duplicated the problem...but the tractor is fixed!

I used a fork, some super-duper-break-free spray AND hit it with a hammer! I think the fork was what made the difference. (I couldn't heat it as it is a visible painted part.)

I'll probably wait for the car to screw up more often before fixing it, but the MLPS will be first on the list when it does.

Back