plugs and wires

D Day

Registered
About how often in miles should these be changed? My engine is starting to act up.

I plan on taking it to a shop to do an electronic diagnosis, but was wondering if my money would be better spent on a home kit? Recomend any good kits out there and how $$ ?

Thank you
David

RE: plugs and wires

How many miles do you have now and are they the original? What do you mean by a home kit?

my 97 had stock plugs in it at 69k miles. they all had a gap of .78 or more... needless to say i changed them..
what a difference, runs much smoother now and pulls harder...

The car was bought about 3 years ago with 60,000, now it has 80,000.

As for the "home kit" it's an electronic device that you hook up to your car and it gives you codes. I see them all the time at Kregan.

I changed my plugs and wires at about 79k (when I bought the car). They had been changed once before, but I wanted to err of the safe side.

As far as the 'home kit' goes, you are looking for a code reader/code scanner. These come up on Ebay (dirt cheap) ALL the time. The really snazzy ones (with LED readouts in plain english), will run you upwards of $150.

Just remember that '94-95 Marks are on OBDI/EEC IV. Most readers set up for OBDII code will NOT work with your '94, unless you buy a high-end code reader that does both. Also, make sure to buy a FORD code reader. The other model readers won't work.

I would change the plugs and wires at 80k. Like was said you can find FORD code readers on e-bay or try an auto store for around $20 or less.

Do you have a check engine light?

I changed mine slightly prior to 100,000 miles, and I believe they were oem plugs/wires that I replaced. I was having no issues at the time and did it for the 100K maintenance interval. I only wish I knew then what I know now - I would have not went stock plugs(stock gap) with Motorcraft wires(gray). I plan to change soon to 2 step colder plugs(can't decide either copper, platinum or iridium) with 9mm Ford Racing wires(blue or red).

Oh yeah, I better move that schedule up since I have almost reached 105,000 miles.;)

Having a 2nd gen, I don't have wires, but we decided to just change the plugs every year, since it's inexpensive and easy to do.

I went with the copper plugs since I plan on changing them as frequently as I do. Although good thing, there was rust on 2 of my plugs this time, the back two, probably from power washing the engine.

What type of plugs do you guys feel are the "best"?

Brent

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~brenth/markviii/Brent's-Mark-VIII.jpg

I guess the best compromise between all of those things is what I'm looking for.

Brent

You can go with AWSF-22C, it is copper one step colder then stock for better performance. But you should change them after around 20k miles, they don't last as long as the platinum.

Ok, thanks - Do these come pre-gapped? If not, what do you guys recommend I gap them at?

Brent

Ok, thanks - Do these come pre-gapped? If not, what do you guys recommend I gap them at?
I believe they come gapped at 0.054 which is the stock setting. You should check them. Some use 0.048 as the gap setting. If you do see a need to change the gap, be sure to use a gapping tool. Prying against the electrode or hitting it can crack the insulator and damage the plug which could then self-destruct in service inside the combustion chamber.

I remember coming across a spark plug mod a couple of times. It claims to increase HP due to more efficient spark. It involves only a few minutes of filing the ground electrode. Most ground electrodes are rectangular in cross-section and protrude across the center electrode entirely - sort of like a canopy. Take a small file and file the end back so the end is at the center of the center electrode and then round it off. This supposedly exposes more of the center electrode to the combustion chamber for a better flame front resulting in better ignition.

Good advice JP, the little tools to check the gap are usually very cheap (a buck or so). On my last plug change I did the "round off" of the corners on the electrode mod. I honestly couldn't tell any difference at all but it usually takes at least 10 hp to be felt in the "seat of your pants" dyno I use. It probably works but the gain is hard to feel.

Getting back to the basic plugs and plug life, although the stock plugs are part of the 100,000 mile tune up hype, they are so easy to change it's laughable....if you have the right tools :). I change mine now once a year which is usually around 10,000 to 15,000 miles. I use the copper plugs because although they don't have the life of the stock platiums you do get better performance and are cheap. I first changed mine at about 30,000 miles and was amazed at the performance difference.

Last year while driving up to Carlisle I developed a skip and thought is might be a bad plug. I picked up a new set at WalMart and changed them in the motel parking lot in about 15 to 20 minutes (I do carry the right tools :) ) so it can be done quickly.....however what I had was really a bad plug wire :(.

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

Thanks so much guys, I have something to do next weekend :)

Brent

Don't forget to use a little anti-seize on the plug threads and dielectric grease on the end of the coil boots.

Thanks for all your help, I did the plug change this past weekend using the 22c plugs you recomended gapped to 48. I didn't really notice a difference, but @ 72k the original plugs should go. They were all gapped at .55 when I pulled them. One thing I did notice was that the two plugs on the passenger side closest to the dash and the one closest to the dash on the drivers side are covered in rust. It looks like water is leaking in where the wiring harness comes in under the cover. Anyone else have this problem? Should I be concerned?

Brent

Back