crappy gas mileage (15 Mpg)

outside18

Registered
any reasons why it should be so low? i know a few people on here have seen close to 27 (highway). i got the car this past january and figured it was the cold that was keeping the mpg down. now that its warmer it hasnt improved at all. any suggestions?

RE: crappy gas mileage (15 Mpg)

Need all your info, like year, mileage, any modifications, what maintenance has been done and when etc...

only taken out the airbox so far. kept up with the oil changes and had the transmission replaced. 74,000 on a 1997 base mark. i do drive like an ass but that shouldnt make that much of a difference right?

Well, when I changed my fuel filter, my mileage improved. I think it improved when the plugs were changed, too. It goes way down, however, when my son drives (go figure).

I never see those 27 MPG numbers. On the highway I think my best is 22-23, and around town (most of my driving) I get right around 15, give or take.

Even with all the stuff I have, I still get close to 30 on the highway.

Fuel filter and spark plugs are a good place to start (no plug wires on the '97 so don't worry about that). Next would be the O2 sensors.

I usually see around 23 mpg, mostly highway driving but some city driving and sometimes a traffic jam.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

You should start by changing the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV, check the coils and coil boots. Also check you air pressure in your tires. If you needed a new trans I hope you got a cooler in the new one and use Mercon V in it. And if you drive it hard of course you MPG will be lower.

Norm: you need to drive the car to use gas.

Steve,
I'm waiting for perfect weather.

On my '97 LSC, I've averaged 19.2 mpg in mixed driving over the last 5-6 tankfulls - 'no resetting the readout. If I check instant mileage while cruising 70mph, it's solid at 25-26 mpg.

John
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6 LX

On my '97 LSC, I've averaged 19.2 mpg in mixed driving over the last 5-6 tankfulls - 'no resetting the readout. If I check instant mileage while cruising 70mph, it's solid at 25-26 mpg.

John
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6 LX

This is about normal from what I have seen on my last 2 Marks. Highway alone is about 28. I think it is FIFO. It only stores info over the last 500 miles.

I think it depends on what 'city' you live in. After a recent tune-up I drove nearly 1000 frwy. miles straight and got over 26 mpg. When I got back here to So. CA where there's a friggin' traffic signal every 300 yds. or less (and you have to SIT there for 5 minutes waiting for it to change) I'm getting 14.0 mpg. I've watched the mileage drop as I sit at the signals getting 0.0 mpg. If you use your car as a grocery getter as I have, you can actually spend MORE time sitting at signals than you do driving. That makes for a very low mean average. If I were back in Ohio where the 'city' has one signal I'll bet I'd be getting 19-20 mpg. At least that's MY rationale for getting such crummy 'city' mileage.

Whoap!! There it is!!:) If you leave all those traffic lights with your foot on the floor and wind up to 4500 rpm you can only expect to get about 15 mpg.

What is the most Miles you guys Got out of your tanks?
I have a solid 20.4-20.6Mpg but I drive it very very hard, 100Mph+ to school. if i didnt it, I would be around 21.

Mileage is always worse in CA. It's because of all the low emissions and clean air stuff they put into the gasoline. Go figure

Mileage is always worse in CA. It's because of all the low emissions and clean air stuff they put into the gasoline. Go figure
Yeah, and all that emission crap they load the gasoline with makes your mileage worse - and you have to burn more gas (more emissions)! Don't those silly enviro-Nazis consider things like this?

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

I get 16 in town and my last trip up to LA it got 18. But traffic runs here on average about 78 mph. I have 3.73s and a 3400 rpm stall converter. I've never seen more than 24 and that was when I first bought the car.

http://members.tccoa.com/lonnie/smallmark8.jpg

95 Mark VIII, modified
92 Thunderbird, 5.0 Sport modified

Driving like an ass makes a big difference. I average 20mpg, but when my dad borrows it, I see 26mpg when he gives it back. we both drive all highway to work, so you can see the big difference between driving styles.

Brent
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~brenth/markviii/Brent's-Mark-VIII.jpg

Lonnie,

How did your situation with CA's emission nazi's turn out. I recall from another thread that you were having a lot of problems. Are you still able to drive that beauty?

I car without flames is like a French kiss without a tongue.

Lee

My mark has all that emissions crap on it. Came out of the factory meeting CA emissions standards. But since I am in the STL area i don't have to put the crappy gas in it however I usually see right around 20mpg being half city half highway driving.

Back