Trying to ID Whirling Noise

scotty96lsc

Registered
Just wondering about this. When I first start my car or come to a stop sign I hear a "whir sound" like a fan or something that comes on for about 10 seconds then stops. I don't think it is the air ride compressor as that seems to have a lower tone than this sound. Just wondering what this might be.

RE: Trying to ID Whirling Noise

I bet it's your compressor. Mine normally makes a higher-pitched sound, but over the past few months it has made really LOW pitched sounds every once in awhile.

Also, there is the ABS test sound that happens the first time you reach 20mph (or is it 25?). But that sounds more like someone ripping a bandaid off of a balloon...

Scotty

Do you think it could be your cooling fan. I know it's thermostatically controlled, but you know how quirky the electronics can be. Maybe it's getting a spike of current and causing it to come on. Have someone watch it while you start the car. If you need it, one of the service writers at North Park Lincoln is the son of a guy I was in Vietnam with. If you want his name and number let me know.

Lee

Lee
Will look into that. It goes to the mechanic this week anyhow for a tranny cooler and I'll have him look at that as well.

It might be the A/C compressor. It comes on intermittently, even when the A/C isn't on.

I get a "crunch" or "rip" sound at about 13 mph whenever I first start out with the car. It doesn't do this if I have been driving and pull away from a stop light or something, only when I first get started. Is this the ABS test that you speak of? I was afraid I had a problem with my transmission, but again, it seems to be more speed sensitive than gear sensitive.

Back