Do I have a wheel bearing going south?

ggf

Registered
Hi guys, I could use some input here. I suspect that I have a front wheel bearing going out but am not possitive. Here are the symptoms. I have noticed that lately I'm getting a slight whining noise that appears to change sound slightly depending upon my speed. I have also noticed that if I jerk the car to the left, or to the right, at highway speed, the sound disappears until my wheels straighten back up. If I exit the highway on a curved ramp, the noise also diminishes. From past experience on my previous car (front wheel drive though), I would think its a front wheel bearing. Any thoughts? Anyone know how much $$ or how much of a PITA it would be to replace? Thanks.
Oh, drive train maintence includes flush and fill the tranny with Mercon V last year. Car has about 103,000 mi.

RE: Do I have a wheel bearing going south?

On our Mark VIIIs, the front wheel bearing is integral to the hub. They can only be changed as a complete assembly.

IF the hub is the problem...

I know that someone here recently changed their hubs - they are very easy to do. Just take off the tire and rotor, and remove the center hub nut. The main issues are 1) getting a big enough socket, 2) breaking the damn thing loose, 3) finding a new hub nut, and 4)torqing it back to the right pressure.

I have heard of people reusing their old hub nuts with some loctite, but I would try to locate a new hub nut when you buy the replacement hubs, if at all possible.

- Scott

Thanks Scott. Does it seem odd that a bearing would be going out on my car with 100,000 miles? I think maybe I'll check the tires, although they are only a year old.

Just did mine last week, 78,000 miles, 97.85 parts, 35.00 labor.
drivers side only

98 Toreador LSC
98 Expedition

Same here, I had to replace the drivers side hub assy jsut a month ago. 110K on it or so.

Easy install, takes about an hour for people that have done their brakes and such before, about 2 hours if you are a newbie to the stuff. Just have to have that huge metric socket before you start. I cannot remember how big it is, 28mm or something??

Joe and Bob...what were your symptoms that caused you to change it? My driver's side just acted up on the Freeway today at 60mph. Felt like the rotor was warped on the driver's side or the caliper was sticking, but no brake pulse. So now with 3 of us with the same symptoms, all driver's side, I think I'll take a gander.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

I would suggest you feel around the front tire. If you feel a slight cupping on the inner or outter edge it might be tire noise. I've had that before and changed the tires and it was gone. The cupping doesn't always go all the way around and will give you the sound of a bearing. Just my $.02.
Wayne

Back