Rebuild engine kit

DragonWheels

Registered
I was just wondering about rebuilding my engine and where the best place to get a rebuild kit. The only place I have been able to find the kit is from "Summit" I was also wondering if I should be adjusting compression when I do this. Distant furture I would like to add NOS or a supercharger. And I'm also at 6500 ft above sea level. If anyone has any suggestions, it will be a big help.

RE: Rebuild engine kit

See, i don't understand that philosophy. If you follow the proper procedure, take you time, and double check everything, what difference does it make who's turning the wrench? If you want to do it yourself, though, at least get in contact with people who've done it, and get their advice, if possible. Check all the bearing clearances, clay the heads, check ring end gap, all that stuff, and follow all the proper torqueing sequences, and i don't know why you'd have a problem. The only thing that would worry me about rebuilding one of these motors, is setting the valve timing.

If you want a blower motor, you'll want lower compression. But without a blower, that will cost you power. With NOS, i'm not sure that compression makes a big difference. If you want more power N/A, raise the compression.

Yo uare right Dave, you jsut need to know the specifics of the engine you are working on. Check check, and recheck everything when putting it togeather, and have a good machine shop you would be fine. Timing is easy on this engien from what i hear, you jstu have to have the special tool, set everything up, take the tool off, then turn the engine by hand and make sure the valves do not hit the pistons. THe TC only goes on one way and that is it. The tool does the rest.

See, i don't understand that philosophy. If you follow the proper procedure, take you time, and double check everything, what difference does it make who's turning the wrench? If you want to do it yourself, though, at least get in contact with people who've done it, and get their advice, if possible. Check all the bearing clearances, clay the heads, check ring end gap, all that stuff, and follow all the proper torqueing sequences, and i don't know why you'd have a problem. The only thing that would worry me about rebuilding one of these motors, is setting the valve timing.

If you want a blower motor, you'll want lower compression. But without a blower, that will cost you power. With NOS, i'm not sure that compression makes a big difference. If you want more power N/A, raise the compression.

No its not rocket science,but its not easy either.
The most important thing about making power with these engines is a good machine shop,THE BEST VALVE JOB YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET,proper parts selection and someone who will take their time and build it right.

When you are ready let me know.I can either do it for you,or I can help ou through it.
Feel free to give me a call.Ask ponyfreak I have never sold him a single part but we talk a couple times a week about engine parts and all kinds of car related stuff.

well you have sold me one part now as of last week.. But you are a helluva guy. And you have helped me out a lot.

If you want nitrous or boost, I'd recommend forged internals (or at least pistons, depends on how nuts you want to get). It'll cost you more up front, but there's less chance of disaster that way. I haven't checked in a while, but I don't think Summit sells any rebuild kits with forged pistons.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Scarlet Red coupe

Chris,
Do you guys cover the WHOLE car re: repairs? Suspension, electrical, etc., etc. I always got the impression ya'll concentrated on HP stuff only. Maybe I'll just start making a list when I have problems, wait till it gets long enuff and run the Mark over to Vegas for the work. It'd sure be a pleasure to know the mechanic didn't have his head up his butt for a change.

I can pretty much do any of it.I dont like chasing electrical gremlins.But then again,who does.But if its broke I can fix it.

Back