Lost 3rd and 4th Help!

Bill Eynon III

Registered
Well on the way back from Six Flags in Ohio today with some friends I was just going about 80 or so. All of a sudden I accelerated a little to pass a car and the rpms went real high. I then had no shifting with the od on. I hit the button and turn od off and I only have 1st and 2nd. Do you think this is something simple like linkage or something? I hope so because my Carlisle trip is on the line if it is major. Oh I have a Reinhardt chip and a B&M shift kit if this helps. Any info would be appreciated greatly.

RE: Lost 3rd and 4th Help!

I had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I got addicted to 4-2 shifts with the chip, and two months later it was time for a new trans. How many miles on your car ? Let's hope I'm wrong ...

Not to scare you, but that is what happened to my tranny a few weeks ago and it wasn't good. I had to have the tranny rebuilt. Was there any sign of a problem before this? Mine appeared to shift into neutral before shifting into od a few times before it finally went. I would take it to a good tranny shop and have them look at it. rebuild on mine cost $2300, but that was to jerry spec and I needed a converter and a new case(had a crack in it near the output shaft).

car has 68k miles on it. No sign of this before it happened. I dont do any 4th to 2nd shifting and such. I have to say it doesnt sound good though. Oh well if it is the trans I will have my mechanic rebuild it. That of course will mean I will miss Carlisle this year. Darn this sux.

Don't Know for sure about yours but mine started just dropping down to 2nd while I was driving and then might come back up on it's own. Sometimes I'd Have to wiggle the shifter a little and it would come back. I changed what I think They call the MLS, it's the electronic switch right on the transmition where the linkage hooks up. Fixed Mine. About 75.00. I have drivin mine pretty hard since I got it with 110,000. I now have 185,000 and no internal transmition trouble. I even pull a trailer with it at times. I did put a B+M shift kit in it, which included the stuff for the 2-3 shift fix. I do all my own work so I can try the simple things first but I'd have a hard time believing It's a hardware problem if it happened all at once. I'd bet it's electrical, a shift solinoid or linkage. I do know in this part of the country most shops don't want to fool with figuring out these new systems so they just tell you it needs a new one and all they have to know is how to change it.
One more reason I like to do my own work.

Wayne.

Mine went all at once. It more then likely needs a rebuild. The sign I got was it shifted out of gear maybe 1 or 2 times right before it went. I also do most of my own work. I trust very few people with my cars, just me, my father, and a few freinds.

Well I replaced the MLPS today and no go. I still only have 1 and 2. I may try to pickup a used trans and put it in. I will swap out the 1-2 2-3 accum from my existing trans and put them in the new one. I will also transfer the aluminum trans pan from b&m. Should I also transfer the drilled separator plate or will this cause the same problem with the new trans? Would the shift kit have caused this seemingly premature trans meltdown? I just am really strapped for money and need a pretty cheap alternative. This also completly cancels my plans to attend Carlisle.

Not sure about the future of my car, I went with a used unit (2k miles) from a 98 LSC. It came with a 1-2 upgrade and 12 mo warranty for a total of $570 from Greenleaf Automotive. They are a nationwide company, check them out. Of course you have to do the install yourself, but that's just plain FUN ... good luck.

$570 is a hellava good price....even tho its a Gen2 tranny...

te
Gen1 stock
147.7k miles

my tranny died at 72k... with almoust the same symtoms as yours... weak point of the car.

Well I picked up used trans from a 96 with 50k for 450 with no exchange. My mechanic friend will keep my old trans in his garage till I get the money and parts to rebuild it. I am going to build it to jerry spec. I will then get a higher stall converter, and Metal matrix drive shaft. Once all that is done this one comes out and that stuff goes in. Car is a daily driver so I need it working now or else I would wait.

Back