All my symptoms....

kev415

Registered
All of the things that Re wrong wilth my car:
- Really rough idle
- Power band is rough to about 3000
- Exhaust smells like Rotten Eggs
- Check Engine Light
- Not a lot of power, not like it used to have...

Things that I have done:
- Replaced PCV Valve
- Cleaned MAF
- Replaced 4 coils (more bad ones wouldnt surprise me..)
- AutoLite Plugs gap to .050 with 7,000 miles on them
- Mobil1 Oil and Filter
- 93 octane all the way

I dont know if this all adds up to something or not. but my car runs like crap. Im going to have the codes scanned this afternoon. Im pretty sure it will be something MAF related because I started the car without pluging the harness back in initially. But we'll see. Im taking it to a real Lincoln garage tomorrow morning, this is way over my head. Just kind of looking for what i should be prepared for...I hope its covered under the ESP. It just pisses me off that I have to fork out cash to pay for someone elses f*ck ups....

RE: All my symptoms....

Sounds like O2 sensors to me. I've started the car while forgetting to plug in the maf several times with no problems other than a check engine light reminding me to plug the thing back in.

The rotton egg smell cinches it for me, you need new o2's. they're something like $50-75 each I think, (you need 2) and if you're mechanically inclined can be done in your driveway.

thats what I was kinda thinking it was too. It only does it when the car is warm and right after i have been at WOT for a bit. Its so bad you can smell it in the car, with the windows up. Those sensors wouldnt cause the skip and the rough idle would they???

on a gen 2 you have 4 o2 sensors are you going to a dealer ouch! how many miles on your car? dont go to the dealer unless you have money to burn.

I dont like all of this emmisions crap. We dont have testing in NH and I would just assume not have to put 4 sensors in at $70 a piece (cheapest I could find via AutoZone). Is there something I could use to send a flase signal to the computer and make it think that everything was ok??? I also plan on gutting my cats and stuffing a straight pipe through there. Can I get a chip that, among other things, would make the computer think that everything was alright?? Cause for another $40 I could get a chip and it is a hell of alot easier to install....

RE: All my symptoms....(CITGO)

RE: All my symptoms....(CITGO)

te
LM8
147k miles

well its going to be propper, when I get around to doing the exhaust, all that crap isnt going to be there anyways, so why mess with it now?? Working on my old chevy truck is so much easier....

The big question is right now, will replacing the O2 sensors even possible cure my rough idle?

Kev, I missed that you were going to be doing an exhaust. Believe me, I'm in the same boat. I think I need a couple of new o2 sensors, so when it's time for the exhaust I'm probably going to hand them to the guy and say, while you're at it...=)

I don't think the rough idle is from the o2 sensors. I have a bit of a rough idle at start up sometimes, or if I'm sitting in traffic once in a blue moon. If your injectors are clean, and you've done wires and plugs...possbily a problem with the cats. I have a feeling my cats might be a bit clogged..

http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00A/1A/04/3D/18/l9k57+ruATVfgrS2L26YtFyTvnur2dNK0060.jpg

Mine does it more when it is warm than cold, mostly when I am sitting in traffic. The ignition setup could still be in question tho. I replaced the plugs, but due to the a$$holes at the dealership, I may or may not still have bad coils. My injectors are clean as far as I am aware. And like I said, that cats are getting cleaned out and stright-piped as soon as finacially possible.

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that the rough idle can be from the O2's. The o2's adjust fuel based on emessions to try and keep things clean back there. When they go bad, it sends screwy signals for fuel delivery, therefore a rough idle. My sister's o2's are shot in her car and she now has a rough idle too.

Fuel filter,spray out throttle body while your at it.
Done and done. Fuel filter under 2,000 miles ago and I cleaned the TB while I was cleaning the MAF.

Back