Rev limiter...

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
... whats it feel like? Long story short, the other day I released some pent up road rage and with O/D and traction control off(premeditation), I tore out of an intersection at maximum acceleration leaving behind one big cumulus cloud. :) Felt good.

However, during the burnout(after quite a few yards) the screaming from the tires seemed to drop in intensity at the same time the car 'hooked' and accelerated(best description I can come up with). I was too busy to look at the speedo and tach during the show and shortly after it shifted I got out of it.

Did the tires just 'hook and go' or did the rev limiter kick in taking the edge off the revs? Had I looked at the speedo and tach what would I have seen?

RE: Rev limiter...

John,
On my Gen 1 prior to getting a chip it would just seem to “loose intrest” in acceleration at around 6,000 rpms. It felt like the timing was being retarded. I never really wound it out manually in the lower gears while it was chipless. However, on the topend with 3.27 gears it would top out at 124 to 125 mph and then just stop accelerating like it had run into a giant pillow. This was about 5000 rpms in 3rd with the O/D off. Flicking it on dropped the rpms down to around 3,500+ rpms but the mph stayed constant at 124’ish.

With my oringinal “Superchip”, the only limiter I hit was the so-call internal transmission limiter at 155 mph. Once on the road and once on a dyno. On the dyno it “scared the daylights” out of the operator and those standing around as it backfired and shot out two perfect smoke rings from the tail pipes. I was told it really looked "Kool"....a Kodak moment but no camera (LOL).

The limiter on the first gens seems to retard the timing to slow down the vehicle both with the traction control and the topend. I don’t know but I’d guess it’s probably around 6,000 rpms in first and second or so.

On then Gen 2’s I think the traction control is related to the rear braking system but am not sure of the speed/rpm limiter, it’s probably similar to the first gens.

** Bill **
LOD Board of Directors
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

I hit my rev limiter when I was racing down in Houston. I shifted it into 2nd gear, and just before I crossed the line, I hit the rev limiter, and it started acting all funky - revs going up and down, and it too felt like I lost power, but to be honest, I was so freaked out, I don't remember exactly.

On my Gen 1 prior to getting a chip it would just seem to “loose intrest” in acceleration at around 6,000 rpms. It felt like the timing was being retarded.

Sounds reasonable, as reflecting upon it - I felt/heard the revs increasing dramatically just prior to the event in question. Most likely just a lack of traction issue.

Maybe I should swap the Michelin Pilot's for the Yokohama's off the Mark VII? LOL

I hit the rev limiter once in 2nd gear and it scared the crap out of me. I thought I'd messed up my car for a second, then realized I was in 2nd, shifted, and everything was fine.
It revved up and down until I let off.

The SPEED limiter feels different; no revving up and down, it just stops accelerating at about 136 mph.

yeah, every now and then i hit the limiter in first while manually shifting. You know it when you hit it, the car just kinda cuts out.

The car cuts out, then dramatically surges dies, then cuts out, then surges, ect... you would sjut see the tach bouncing back and forth about 300 rpm's..

I hit my rev limiter when I was racing down in Houston. I shifted it into 2nd gear, and just before I crossed the line, I hit the rev limiter, and it started acting all funky - revs going up and down, and it too felt like I lost power, but to be honest, I was so freaked out, I don't remember exactly.

Was that before or after you put the car in R for Race? ;)

That was before. That was why. :p See, it's not just me, it's really freaky to hit the rev limiter.

Back