What type of Air Filter should I buy?

Mycophiles

Registered
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money but I have an inspection soon and I suspect the air filter has not been replaced since it was new.

RE: What type of Air Filter should I buy?

K&N is the why to go. It is about $50 but it is the last filter you will ever have to buy.

Just get a stock paper replacement filter. No one ever reported any gains with a K&N on the dyno when they tested it and the oil from a K&N can contaminate the mass air sensor wires.

Just get a stock paper replacement filter. No one ever reported any gains with a K&N on the dyno when they tested it and the oil from a K&N can contaminate the mass air sensor wires.

Even if its not worth a single hp on the dyno its still worth it for the fact that its good for a Million miles.

Steve, you have the same filter, have you had any problems related to the filter oil?

Even if its not worth a single hp on the dyno its still worth it for the fact that its good for a Million miles.

Steve, you have the same filter, have you had any problems related to the filter oil?

I clean my mass air wires all the time, and I don't have a stock set up, if I could find a paper conical filter I would use that. I rather just buy a new one then take the time to clean the K&N.

Im just bringing that up because I have had a K&N on since 97' the same one acually and I have NEVER ever cleaned my maf wires nor have I ever had a maf wire problem due to the filter oil.

Walt has had the same results, same filter since 98 and never had a problem at all as well as thousands and millions of others.

Thats just over rated hype.

I'm thinking if there was a poll on this, K&N would win hands down.

BTW, the MAF will get dirty regardless of the type of air filter. Obviously, if the K&N is serviced too heavily with the filter oil, the MAF will be contaminated with oil and subsequently will attract more dirt. I have had no problems whatsoever with MAF contamination with a K&N filter on any vehicle I have owned, either panel types or conical. I am very meticulous when servicing the filter and after cleaning I allow the filter media to completely dry prior to lightly re-oiling the filter media.

Same here. I've been using K&N filters sin 88. I've yet to have any problems with them. Never had to clean anything but the filter.

Ummm... there is no reason for the MAF to get dirty if you have a good filter on there. Thats part of the reason for a filter.

The oil may or may not contaminate the wires. The reason for the oil causing the problem would probably be an over-oiling of the K&N after cleaning.

The reason i won't use a K&N filter is that they filter like crap. I had my oil analyzed with a K&N filter on the car, and the only thing they found was excessive solid particles, that were not metal, and could only have come through the air filter.

Also, I have a friend that works for Wix, and he benchmarked a K&N filter at one time. He said something about having to completely disassemble the test machine afterward because the filter let so much crap through. I'm not sure exactly what he was talking about, but he said they're crap. But that should be no surprise. There are giant holes in the filter, that you can SEE through. Dirt is going to get in. For my money, i'll buy a filter that filters, thank you very much.

As far as a cone filter goes, i picked up an '02 GT airbox. It has a stock paper cone filter. The airbox has the same bolt pattern as out MAF, but you have to cut down the little studs it screws into to make it seal, and you'll probably have to do some kind of custom work with your hose. Or you can just go buy a paper filter for an '02 Mustang GT and try to make it work. I knocked a tenth or so off my quarter mile time by changing my airbox, according to my Tazzo.

accel make cone filter called cool blue. i email them about the filter but never heard anything.

Also a good paper filter only cost about $12. In addition to the K&N filter you need to buy the cleaner and the oil as well. I rather just replace a filter then clean it and re-oil it, but that is just me.

I have a K&N and I have my oil analyzed about once per year through blackstone labs. Everything comes out alright except that the Si is on the high side. They state for reccommendations: "Check air filter"

I had a bike with a K&N pod setup (four little filters) and I found a lot of dust stuck inside the carb throats. I think they let too much dust through.

As I understand it, they work like this:

K&N's are a web of gauze, sticky with oil. Air passes through the gauze, like bugs through a spiderweb. Large dust particles are likely to strike a thread and stick. Smaller particles are less likely to hit a thread, but they may still get stuck. They have to strike a thread to get filtered, but many of the openings in the gauze layers line up and they fly right through.

Stock paper filters are similar, but more like a sponge than a few layers of spiderweb. The openings in the filter media are smaller and create more of a maze of little passages. Air may have more difficulty passing through, but very few particles escape getting stuck in the media. I don't think the extra HP required to suck air through the filter is significant.

Also I have read that some people advise not oiling K&N filters. Personally I think this is a bad idea, unless you plan to replace your motor due to, um... because you blew it up long before some wear becomes an issue.

-Joel.

FWIW, I just read MM&FF which had an article outlining "Team Mustang", a group of Ford engineer types who owned Mustangs of various vintages. An interesting split showed. Of 15 'Stang techies, six had no modifications from stock. Of the remaining nine, six specifically listed a K&N filter as part of their mods. The remaining three did not say mention a K&N filter in their list of mods, so one can only form a hypothesis that they did not have such.

Read into it what you will, but like most mods, good or bad, truth or fiction, hype or science; there are believers and there are naysayers. ;)

Back