Crankshaft position sensor troubleshooting

Greenemachine

Registered
what are some ways to see if this sensor is going bad? If it was going bad could it cause lean conditions and cause intermidiate sputtering? It's part of the ignition system which has to do with spark timing. if the cps is bad it could throw the timing off which could cause missfiring or detenation which I think Is going on along with the sputtering. also I've tried to search about checking the timing, how would one do that?

I've always done minor stuff to my cars, but I'm trying to get into the more difficult stuff and troubleshooting myself.

RE: Crankshaft position sensor troubleshooting

Most of what I see with a failed CPS is a no start condition.

As far as checking the timing, I guess you could(I would need to check the manual), but with no mechanical way to adjust it, the idea is moot, is it not?

well even if the timing can't be adjusted, its still good knowing whats going on isn't it? I have a huge service manual from the factory but it doesn't have timing. thats where I got the idea about the cps. I also heard about the no start with the cps, but what if it just hasn't gotten to that point yet? I'm just trying to figure out different problems that could be causeing it. fuel system is good, havn't checked the injectors yet tho.

what are some ways to see if this sensor is going bad?

To test teh sensor you need to get an ohm meter. I cannot remember exactly what wire number they are on the main harness, but the CPS goes to the EDIS module. Get your ohm meter, and test for continuity. IT whould be around 310 ohms, then turn the car over and it should flash continuity. ALl it is is a proximity switch.

If it was going bad could it cause lean conditions and cause intermidiate sputtering?
Possible.

It's part of the ignition system which has to do with spark timing. if the cps is bad it could throw the timing off which could cause missfiring or detenation which I think Is going on along with the sputtering.
Again possible.

also I've tried to search about checking the timing, how would one do that?

You can cehck it with a timing light, but the computer pulls timing electronically, so I do not know how you would be able to see if it is adding timing which would lean it out, but think it cannot add it. I do not know if the car can even add timing, I know it can pull it out. these are good questions, that i hope somone can anwser...

Are you pulling any codes? A bad CPS will throw a code.

I've always done minor stuff to my cars, but I'm trying to get into the more difficult stuff and troubleshooting myself.

YOu will get her all fixed up... I hope soem of thsi helps. See if it is throwing any codes. Also please explain during what circumstances the car sputters... ect cold, hot, low rpm, high rpm, low throttle, hich throttle, ect... that will help some of us understand what the car is doing. Many things can make the car sputter....

thanks that was helpfull. the car seems to sputter pretty much anytime it feels like it.. like if its cold and ya sit at a light. when its warm and ya pull up to a light, the rpm's will vary ever so slightly, if I take my foot off the gas it'll kinda go forward but then sputter, kinda feels like it'll stall if I don'tstep on the gas, however it's never stalled on me. also I hear pops from the exhaust when I accelerate (never there before), like the engine is missfiring or something. all of this stuff doesn't happen all the time. its like it happened when it wants too.

Back