Gears

redn8

Charter Member
Paid Member
I'm thinking about going to larger gears and want to know if this is a diy or seek professional help.

RE: Gears

Is the "seek professional help" idea to get the gears in or to try and influence you to back off from the obsession? :)

My mind is made up, I'm getting them but trying to determine if I'll be broke after doing it.

If you buy the whole center section, you can probably do it yourself. If you've never done it before, i wouldn't try to set the gears up myself.

I've never removed the differential, but from what i hear, it's not that tough. You have to get the car up on jack stands or a lift, lower the gas tank a few inches, remove the driveshaft, remove one rear wheel, disconnect the spindle at one end and swing it out of the way, remove the halfshaft, shift the center section to the side and pull it out.

Norm, no offense, but I know you.....spend the money and have it done by a proffesional. If I do it, that's the route I'm going. ;)

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

I'm thinking 3:73 do I want bigger?

Anyone up for a weekend project?

Bill, thanks for the vote of confidence. I hate it when you're right although I'm not the same guy I once was. I can now change a tire and I know where the dipstick is.

Unless you are up for a serious experiement, you should pay to have someone do it. It's not that much, really. I was quoted $280 to install a rear end I brought them complete. Others have done better.

Given all the parts you have to take off to do it, theres a lot that could be missed on reassembly.

Scott

Norm it's sooooo simple its boring.

Call me for detailed KILLER instructions with ton's of shortcuts.

I have done more of these then anyone.

Thanks Geno for the advice. You made a believer out of me, I think I can, I think I can.

Thanks Geno for the advice. You made a believer out of me, I think I can, I think I can.

Man that was the quickest response ever!!

Good talking with you again Norm.

If you need anything along the way that will help you perform this modification just call me up.

Norm,

I found 3:73's to be optimal for strip, yet still be able cruise 80-85 on the road and RPM be within reason. Do you race often? If not you may regret changing. I had 3:55's in a Mustang once that worked well for light to light games, but if you're going to the stip you'll do best with the 3:73's. Hope this helps.

Lee

Back