Real world headers/exhaust gains

Ponyfreak

Registered
Well folks, I made it out to the track tonight.

It was 75 degrees and 83% humidity.
Mark VIII recorded 81 degrees on track.

Here are my times:

This is the best one tonight, I shifted into 3rd too soon... The mph would have easily been a 102.XX :O( Ohh well.

60' 2.231
330 6.184
1/8 9.352
mph 78.19
1000 12.020
1/4 14.26
mph 101.22

Good shifts, spun a couple turns off of the line.

60' 2.256
330 6.246
1/8 9.431
mph 77.90
1000 12.111
1/4 14.343
mph 101.22

here are the times from the track when Eli and I went on April 19th
Temperature was in the 80's and track temp was 85 I think mine said. It was not very humid that day, just sunny and hot. I got sunburnt.

Best times of the day:

60' 2.245
330 6.335
1/8 9.629
mph 75.15
1000 12.423
1/4 14.764
mph 96.44

Best previous time on march 29th. 35 degrees, overcast, perfect day to race.

60' 2.182
330 6.135
1/8 9.328
mph 77.63
1000 12.038
1/4 14.311
mph 99.61

All weights were the same in everyone of these runs. The only variable is that tonight I had longtube headers/exhasut on.

I honestly feel that the headers/exhasut gave me .4 in the 1/4 and 4mph. These are no bullshit numbers. So as I said before you guys should make headers your first modification. They are the best bang for the buck mod, plus I get an observed 1-2mph better gas mileage in town and on the highway.

Unfortunatly I am unable to get to the dyno this weekend like i had wanted to, so track results is all I can provide. I will get dyno numbers later on. I am expecting a 20-25 rwhp gain in places.

The next thing I have to do is shave about .2 off of my 60ft times. those 60's are killing me. I have Nitto 555 extreme drags on the car as well.

Again I want to make the mods clear to everyone:
Ported intake
Pro_M MAF
cam shim
AWSF 22C plugs
home made cold air
modified MAC longtube headers and dual 2.5 " exhaust.

This car has STOCK 3.07 GEARS...

EDIT: Also this car has not been tuned yet, and is still runnign rich. NO tune was done before or after the header install. just more FYI for you people.

RE: Real world headers/exhaust gains

Some other numbers for you to comapre to at the track tonight..

Stock Lightning : 13.89 @ 99.61
Stock 03 Cobra 13.35 @107.2
GTP #1 13.99 @ ??
GTP #2 14.2 @ 98.64

Stock 96 Cobra that I raced in the final round:

ME 96 Cobra Stock besides air filter

60' 2.256 2.271
330 6.246 6.174
1/8 9.431 9.463
mph 77.90 74.55
1000 12.111 12.223
1/4 14.343 14.523
mph 101.22 99.25

Ohh yea the G-tech was .05 seconds off, and 3mph high on every run. this G-tech is right on the money.

Wow. I always felt that the stock headers negated any gains from an aftermarket exhaust system. I can believe you are getting some serious improvement from long tubes!

-Joel.

Awesome. Tires and some good weather should get you into the 13's. Now how about offering those headers to the rest of us???

Kale

WOW Joe, a chip/dyno tune should have you in 13's easy......with stock gears.

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

Congrats! Don't forget to take me for a ride. :)

As soon as Joe uses the MAFterburner and gets the A/F back to normal there is no doubt in my mind the car will pick up another 20-30 horsepower.
But then again what do I know.He'll just be fooling the EEC.So that means his horsepower numbers wont count.LOL LOL

Joe, thanks for posting the actual numbers. I've always wondered about the real world gains from headers- and now I know. I never knew you could actually up the gas mileage. Over the past couple months I've seriosly thrown headers into the mix as my next modification. Unfortunately, I've dropped quite a bit of cash into my car just this month, so it will have to wait. Also, I really thought headers were the more "bang for the buck" option when opposed to replacing intakes. Plus you get that killer sound. Now that I've got this info, I may just do the headers right along with the exhaust...might save me a few $$ too...=D
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00E/10/B2/BE/92/5K1NnmkK7UVBb0BSrmZzOvj4-a0F7Kjd0060.jpg

I would do the whole exhaust system at once. From the heads to the tailpipes. IF you do not have enough money to afford it all at once, then you do not have the money to waste on stupid mufflers that do not give you anything more than sound. The real gain/problem is in the first 4 feet of exhaust.

My take on it is, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket follow this advice like i did on my Pearl car:
1. go get some bigger pipes, mufflers some stupid overpriced X pipe
2. then realize you did not gain much power, but spent a lot of money on some sound and gimmicks
3. then decide you need some longtubes
4. Install longtubes
5. Redo some pipes you paid all that good money for; rip out that X pipe and put an H pipe in its place that cost 10$ from the exhasut man
6. Be happy and poor

If you are on a budget/smart/or like to do things right the first time-- then do like i did on the red whore:
1. Save up and get longtubes, install on car along with entire exhaust along with a 10$ "muffler man made" H-pipe AND be happy AND faster.

The two best HP mods on these cars for the money are Intake and entire exhaust work. Head work is a good mod, but very costly and difficult to manage.

This is just my opinion, and are based on real life experiences with the two mark VIII's I own. I am sure a lot of others have other ideas on how to gain HP. I know Dan R's idea is to jsut spray it... lol

Edit-grammar

I would do the whole exhaust system at once. From the heads to the tailpipes. IF you do not have enough money to afford it all at once, then you do not have the money to waste on stupid mufflers that do not give you anything more than sound. The real gain/problem is in the first 4 feet of exhaust.

My take on it is, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket follow this advice like i did on my Pearl car:
1. go get some bigger pipes, mufflers some stupid overpriced X pipe
2. then realize you did not gain much power, but spent a lot of money on some sound and gimmicks
3. then decide you need some longtubes
4. Install longtubes
5. Redo some pipes you paid all that good money for; rip out that X pipe and put an H pipe in its place that cost 10$ from the exhasut man
6. Be happy and poor

Edit-grammar
[/quote]

Great gains Joe, we all knew this as well. I do have to disagree with the "Gimmick" stab and the order of which you posted these mods to be done.

Let me explain,
firstly how is this a Gimmick?:

14.6 @ 97 MPH
Charter Member
1199 posts Aug-07-02, 10:38 AM (EDT)

4. "RE: What kind of power..."
In response to message #3

My car went .3 faster through the quarter with a LMS single-X system..........14.3 @ 97 MPH. This is the only mod I have, well I have the K&N panel if you want to call that a mod.
The sound of the exhaust alone makes it worth it, but it is nice to run quicker to.

With stock 3.07 gears I have noticed a slight lose in low-end torque at low rpm's when driving slow and the double XX is supposed to eliminate this.

I would recommend the double X if you are staying with stock gears. The double X system wasn't around when I purchased my exhaust.

Ken

Also since that post I do believe he has gone faster in mph.

Secondly, most people do not have the means nor the capabilities to do long tubes, the expense is immense, the labor atrotious and VERY, very expensive.

Most people are content with a $1000.00 stainless steel system that is installed in 4 hours, sounds GREAT and performs well and lasts a LIFETIME too!

So in all honesty Im not that impressed for all that loot and labor, Ken is right on your back door with ONE (1) mod?

You should run better when tuned, we will see.

Don't be so rough.

dude chill out

dude chill out

CHingow Partner, someone has a case of the paranoids..

Daniel, Dennis, Magnaflow, Dynomax, and LMS all sell those X pipes. What is the deal man? It was not a stab at anyone. I am sorry you took it as that.

I went a 14.311 with one mod, a ported intake. But that was a cold ass day. Some cars are faster than others. Big whoopidee doo.

AS I said, "This is just my opinion, and are based on real life experiences with the two mark VIII's I own. I am sure a lot of others have other ideas on how to gain HP."

Besides as you know Gene ET is not any indication of power, HP is. As you can see I am running over 5mph faster than Ken anyway. It takes a lot of power to gain 5 mph in the 1/4. And for my big loot spent, I have 635$ in my whole exhaust system. Includes mufflers too. Me being impressed and happy does not include impressing anyone else. I am simply informing the club that I belong to of what I am doing and what kind of gains I am getting. Any other questions can be handled in a PM though.

RE: dude chill out

CHingow Partner, someone has a case of the paranoids..

Daniel, Dennis, Magnaflow, Dynomax, and LMS all sell those X pipes. What is the deal man? It was not a stab at anyone. I am sorry you took it as that.

I went a 14.311 with one mod, a ported intake. But that was a cold ass day. Some cars are faster than others. Big whoopidee doo.

AS I said, "This is just my opinion, and are based on real life experiences with the two mark VIII's I own. I am sure a lot of others have other ideas on how to gain HP."

Besides as you know Gene ET is not any indication of power, HP is. As you can see I am running over 5mph faster than Ken anyway. It takes a lot of power to gain 5 mph in the 1/4. And for my big loot spent, I have 635$ in my whole exhaust system. Includes mufflers too. Me being impressed and happy does not include impressing anyone else. I am simply informing the club that I belong to of what I am doing and what kind of gains I am getting. Any other questions can be handled in a PM though.

Im not hardly paranoid, and you took my "stab" reference a little too deep. Maybe I should have said "Your opinion" sorry.

Anyway you didn't include the labor costs which in most cases would surely double your get-in price.

Yea labor would kill someone on this install. But Everyother person I know has two arms and can get a set of tools just like i did and put them on themsleves. And if I can find enough time to do the install anyone can.

Hopefully I can get the car leaned out with this new contraption and make some real power before giving her a shot of the juice.

i have owned three marks i got you beat. lol. JUST SPRAY IT that will fix all the problems you could have from running it on a hot day instead of a cold day after all we can not all rent the track like the magazines do on 3 degree days to run a cars for testing.

those were some really nice numbers. Got my interesst up in headers now :)!

Back