Chips & Thermostats

Leecon

Registered
To support the theory that you learn something new every day, I submit the following. I knew when I bought my chip that the thermostat should be changed to fully appreciate the chips potential. I just didn't know how important it is. I put off changing the thermostat until yesterday. I noticed a significant performance increase when I put the chip in, and had an equally noticeable improvement after changing the thermostat. It was like putting in another chip.

IMO if you're installing a chip that requires a lower temp thermostat, don't delay changing it. You're just wasting potential.

RE: Chips & Thermostats

That's quite sastifying, Lee. My plan is to change the Tstat, possibly replace the coolant with Evans NPG+, THEN install a performance chip.:9

Of course, I'm not sure where the exhaust upgrade fits in with all this.

Then, I need the redneck sticker that says: "Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON!"

John I just had my exhaust done and it's one of the best mods I've done. I love it!

I need to bribe the Meineke man and have my wife take the Mark VIII down for something or another, then he could tell her it needs a new exhaust from the cats back. Then he could quote some obnoxious price, say Lincoln dealer list prices. She'll call me, I'll say "No way, I can save us a bunch of money!"

Of course, first I'll have to figure out exactly what I want and have all my ducks in a row, so I can move fast! :) LOL!

I had a difficult time getting someone to cut out my 3rd cat. I finally had a friend who told me of a place to have it done. We don't even have emission tests done.

The first place I went was Meineke and they said no way.

I had a difficult time getting someone to cut out my 3rd cat. I finally had a friend who told me of a place to have it done. We don't even have emission tests done.

The first place I went was Meineke and they said no way.

Oh no, Meineke won't do the work... I know a shop that will. :) I had my Mark VII LSC exhaust gutted and a new cat back system installed for a very fair price at a local shop AFTER Meineke said the LSC needed exhaust work. They had no problems with me taking it somewhere else for the exhaust work. After all, I brought it back for a four wheel alignment and state inspection.;) And I saved over $150 from their prices and got what I wanted - aftermarket performance and sound(versus the factory exhaust).

The local Meineke here does do good work at reasonable rates. I'm just considering using them as a front }> to have an excuse to get the exhaust upgrade on the Mark VIII. I'll have the same shop that worked on the VII do the actual installation. Most likely I'll buy the parts and hav'em installed by them. I wouldn't mind doing the install myself - but I don't do exhaust work anymore(long story).

I talked with the Meineke people near my house about a Dynomax Magnum Race Bullet, they told me they could order them for me at $100 each, then $40 each to weld in place. I bought the mufflers from Summit at $30 each, took them to one of the Mexican shops on the West side and they installed them for $10 each. The guys I know will do just about anything as long as you pay cash, they just close the garage doors while they're doing the actual torch work. One of them was trying talk me into letting him run a single 4" pipe down the center. Had to pass on that.

NICE.I like the part about closing the doors while doing the torch work.
Sounds like a good chop shop to me.LOL

I am getting a used LMS chip, 1 year old. What temp thermo should I go to ? What temp is stock ?

I am getting a used LMS chip, 1 year old. What temp thermo should I go to ? What temp is stock ?

I believe the stock Tstat is 195 degrees. Geno would be best to answer the other half of your question.

I can find this temp for the Mark at a autoparts store. Does it cause any issues with sensors etc.. ? Ill have all kinds of COOL going on , Cool temp, cool airintake ( once I get the ICEBOX) and a cool feeling when putting the pedal down !

Sorry I miss-typed that should be " Where can I get a t-stat of that temp for the Mark VIII , at the parts store ? Will they handle such a component or is it special order".

Figured I would ask first.

Sorry for the typo in the post above. It should have been a question not a statement.

Summit has it. You may not be able to find it on their web site, but you can call their 800 # and get it.

Back