Posi rear????

apbpetey

Registered
I have a 97 base. I thought these cars came with a open rear. When I got on it both rears spin and leave very nice patches. Did Lincoln make this cars with a posi? also anyway I can tell what gears i have?

RE: Posi rear????

nope, no mark VIII ever came with a posi track. THey are open ended. YOu have 3.07 gears in your car.

What are your RPMs @ 75 mph?

Brent

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~brenth/markviii/Brent's-Mark-VIII.jpg

If I have a open rear wouldn't only one tire spin? I tried both from a stand still and from power brake, each way both rear tires spin. I have also tried after running the run for awhile to heat up the car and again both rears leave tracks. I will check the RPMs tomorrow morning and let you know. Please let me know if I am wrong about the tires spining. My mom's old town car had a open and when power brake only the pass. rear spun not both, like mine is.

Did you turn off traction control? At a detroit meet we hada similar incident, and I think it ended up being cause he left the TC on.

do a nice long brake stand. A one wheel wonder will be the result. I get dual patches in the situations that you are describing as well, why, i dont know. I had the T/C off

OKay my rpm at 75 is just over 2,000. I will try doing a long brake stand. I tried a brake stand a few times and each time i get both wheels spining. I haven't done it for a real long stand, but i would have thought that it doesn't matter only one rear should spin not both unless I am wrong about that. Will try it soon anyway.

you have 3.07's and you still have an open diff. No mark VIII;s ever came with a trac-loc rear end. THe reason both your tires spin at the same time is due to the fact that the diff is seing exactly the same amount of torque on both tires. Therefor one does not give way to the other. THis is a good thing, consider yourself lucky that both tires hook up, but that still does not mean you do not have trac-loc rearend.

Ok, I have a 3.73 posi and I run 2500 at 75. This means you must have a taller gear since your rpms are lower. More evidence to support you have the stock 3.07

Brent

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~brenth/markviii/Brent's-Mark-VIII.jpg

I wasn't saying I have a trac-loc rear and I understand that they only came with a open rear. I was just under the impression that a open rear end didn't act that this. Mainly because the few cars I have had with a non-posi rear always only spun one of the rears. I do consider it a nice thing that both my tires hook and prefer that they do.

In a solid axle car the driveshaft tries to rotate the
axle, unloading one wheel and loading the other (torque
reaction). The IRS in the Mark prevents this and if you're
setting on level ground each wheel gets the same traction
(more or less).
Mel C.
93 garnet/grey

Before I changed to the 373 traction lok diff, I could/would get both tires to spin.

I thought it was strange as well... but after changing to a TRUE Traction Lok diff I immediately saw the difference.

with the open rear end, the tires would both spin.. but, not like with the "posi diff".
now.. POWER is evenly trasmitted equally to both tires.

before "the other tire" was just spinning along WITH the drive tire,
but it didn't have the same "power" as the drive tire.

Meaning "both would spin" but one would stop after a bit, and the drive tire would continue to spin.

Now... it hardly spins at all, no matter what I do.
Even, equal power delivery to BOTH WHEELS.

Back