Code 214

tomanycars

Registered
had a long checkengine light last night so I droped by Autzone and they scan the codes.. 111 214. 214 was acording to them Cam postion sensor intermintant loss of signal.. SO what so be done? Pinpoint tests or replace the cam sensor.. The car does not skip or die KOW... but It may be using more gas.

Any sugestions... I am driving about 120 miles a day and really don't want to get stranded or mess anything up...

RE: Code 214

I'd say you are very fortunate to be on top of a potential show stopper so soon. If it were me, I'd change out the sensor at my earliest convenience before it fails completely and leaves you stranded (adding tow truck costs, inconvenience, etc.) Replacement now would be pro-active in my view. Good luck.

That was my thought.

I am going to to go get one a lunch are their more than one and where
are they exactly.

Can I change one in the parking lot without to much troubble..

Napa has part # Ff441a for around 16.00
Autozone two different ones one is 8.00 one is 16.00
Advance has it for around 16.00

Don't worry about it yet. My '94 did the same problem. I'm not sure the exact code i was throwing, but it was the cam position sensor and it was intermittant.

The reason it's intermittent is because the sensor is fine, but the wire is broke right by the connector somewhere, most likely. If it goes out completely, your car might stall when you tip into the throttle from an idle, but it'll still idle and it'll still run and drive.

See if you can get the connector with some wire still on it from a junkyard or something, or just rig it. I cut the connector out, and used some standard female spade connectors and just connected right to the pins on the sensor. You may have to replace the last few inches of wire too.

The sensor is located on the head right behind the power steering resevoir. You might have to take off the resevoir and move it out of the way, but you shouldn't have to drain it or anything.

Thanks.. I'll check that at lunch, I had the engine cover off this winter to do plugs/wires and maybe I moved the wire and pissed it off.. This is the first few days of driving for this year so all the gremlins are not gone yet...

Went out a lunch wires are hard to see but they look intack wiggled the harness got in the car and started and ran for several minutes
no light!! This morning the light cam on as soon as it went into closed loop and stayed on.. I will be taking this thing apart tonight to get a better look and fix waht needs fixing..

I read a continuous memory code of 214 today. THe book that came with my reader says 214 is "cylinder identification circuit failure" is the same as the cam position sensor? Tomanycars, did you fix thsi probem, and was it the cam sensor?

my ford technical CD is messed up! and I can' read it. grrrrrrr

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

That's the code mine threw. The book for the little actron scanner said the same thing.

On mine the wire was bad. It wasn't visibly bad, but i talked to a ford tech (just called dealers till one let me talk to a tech, long before i found LOD), and he said that 99% it's the wire. So i replaced the last few inches of wire and it was all good.

Is yours stalling when you tip into the throttle yet?

Only when the engine is very cold. It misses while idleing though, even when warm.

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

Back