What damage is likely?

J

joeychgo

Ok.....So.... As some of you recall, pepboys changed my oil and coolant for me, but replaced little of it.... I drove like this for several hundred miles. There was little sign of trouble except a little high temp and the occasional warning message. (which i thought was a sensor issue) When I finally tried to take the car on the highway, it overheated, taking the temp to the red line and getting me the check engine light.......

Since then I have the proper fluids......and will be taking the car again for an oil change and coolant change to see if ive lost any fluid since..... I cannot tell for sure, but I ahve seen the low coolant on recently from time to time, so im assuming ive lost a little fluid since.....

SO now the questions....... What damage was likely caused and what whats the needed repair. I had one mechanic tell me the piston heads were likely scorched. Forgive me, im not THAT mechanically knowlegable so im unsure what that means. Im asking because im preparing to rake pepboys over the coals for this and want to know what im dealing with.....

RE: What damage is likely?

AS long as you didn't blow a head gasket you should be just fine.If it did pop a gasket you may have warped the head.On these cars if the head is warped you pretty much need to replace the head.They can be milled a tiny bit.( I dont remember the exact amount) but if you mill it too much you start to run into timing problems with the chains.A new head from ford is 1100 bucks.

RE: What damage is likely?

If im right and I now am leaking a little fluid, then what is likely?

Back