Changing fuel filter

jayhawk

Registered
I want to change out the fuel filter. Looking at the manuals , I need to relieve the fuel pressure at the schrader valve. It calls for a fuel pressure gauge to relieve the pressure in the system. Is this necessary ( using the gauge - that I dont have) or is there a trick out there that doesnt require the gauge to relieve the pressure.

Also, it doesnt say which side of the car the filter is on ? Which side is it on , dont want to pull out the fender well on the wrong side.

Also any clues to where that schrader valve is ?

Thanks in advance everyone... love this board, everyone is very helpful.

( Want to get good fuel flow for the MAF and chip that I just got :) )

RE: Changing fuel filter

I changed my fuel filter awhile back while chasing the “RPM Surge and Slightly Rough Idle” problem. This operation was real easy.

The valve is located on the fuel injector runner. I forget which side. Looks like a valve stem. I put a rag around it pushed the male portion down. No pressure was relieved there.

The filter is located on the passenger side. Take off the inner fender well plastic on the rear side of the fender opening.

You will need to fashion a tool to get the upper fuel line released from the filter. I used a cap off of a Sharpie. The cap needs to be cut so that you end up with a ½ inch section that’s open on the top and bottom. Now cut the piece so that it can be wrapped around the filter stem of the installed filter. With the doohickey wrapped around the upper stem push upwards and work the line off of the stem. Sounds more difficult than it is.

I will send you a few pics if you like.

Keith

If you buy a "Napa" brand filter, the tool is in the box. How cool is that!!!!

Tim Van Nattan
'94 Mark VIII
Santa Fe/Saddle
"Moffie"

It's a peice of cake. Pull the left front wheel for "more room to work".

The hardest part for me was getting the inner fender out without damaging it. I'm a bit of a bull in a china shop type guy, so I had to excersize what little patience I do have to succeed.

Should take you about 45 minutes or so.

I think you mean 'right' front. (passenger's side)

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

Duh, yep. I'm having a "I'm stuck at work and cannot wait to get out of here" moment.

Right front.

This is a perfect example of why we ned to repost all the info from the dark side. A tutorial with pictures was there and should be moved over here.

Back