1-2 Accumulator modification, Mercon V

Chad

Registered
Is there an easy way to determine if this has been done?
I seem to recall something about trying to feel how hard it shifts between first and second gear?

RE: 1-2 Accumulator modification, Mercon V

If you wait until you feel hard shifts it could be to late. If you don't know when the last fluid changes was done then I would just change it. when the pan is drooped I believe the accumulator piston can be verified.
Maybe someone will chime in with more detail on that.
Also that would be a good time to get an external trans cooler

Ok. I'll just go ahead and swap the liquids, filter, gasket in the trans in the next week or so.
Now... where can I grab myself the new 1-2 piston and an external cooler?
I'm not trying to get everyone to do my homework for me, but I'm a PC programmer by trade and need someone more mechanical to clue me in on the best place to get these parts ;)

Ooops I should've posted this in the drivetrain category.. sorry

FWIW, I picked up the 1-2 accumulator upgrade essentials from the local FLM dealer. If you do not, and you plan on replacing the pan gasket - be sure the pan gasket is the rubber type, not cork. As for the cooler, I got the B&M Supercooler from www.summitracing.com

Visit www.bulkpart.com for barbed hose fittings essential with the cooler install.

John, I read another post from Chad where he indicated it was a '94.

I priced the 1-2 parts at both the ford dealership and a transmission dealer. Looked at both of them and there was no difference. The parts at the ford dealership was 40 bucks more.

How to tell if you need it done. I really cant answer that. I had shuttering in the tranny and got it flushed which fixed the problem.

Then I did the 1-2 upgrade and found the spring in 4 different parts and the piston all kinds of smashed up. I can't believe that the bore was unscathed.

I might add I drove my '93 as a daily driver almost two years before I upgraded the 1-2 accumulator. After finding LOD, I was convinced my 1-2 accumulator had a broken bottom spring. Light to mid throttle 1-2 shifts seemed OK, but agressive or WOT 1-2 shifts were extreme IMO. So I drove with care for almost a year with this knowledge and fear. When I finally did the work, I found the spring broken in 3 pieces and no bore scuffing. The fluid was not burn't, the pan was very clean and I felt vindicated.

Yep, a 1994 Mark :)

Ok, can this be done by a novice mechanic (me)?

Also, was this a recall issue or just a tech bulletin or tip?

Chad, it's can be done in a driveway (or garage in m case) easy as pie. In my sig is a link to step by step instructions with pics if you need some help.

It was put out as a TSB, not a recall, BTW.

Maddshadez

I'm not sure but in your instructions I don't think you say to get the HEAVY DUTY pliers when getting the pleirs to pull the seal out.

That's the only real besaach is getting that seal out of the bore so the piston drops out. AFter that everything was easy peasy nice and easy. Except for the leak. http://users3.ev1.net/~acashiola/ot/mad.gif

I didn't realize there was more than one type I guess. You do mean the snap ring pliars? I think I meantioned to get the ones with the yellow handles. If it's not clear, I can go change it.

Hey Chad, where are you located? If it's anywhere near Dayton, OH, I can come help you with it.

That's it the snap ring pliers. Mike and I snapped 2 pairs, including the yellow handled ones, before we found the heavy duty snap ring pliers at autozone which worked perfectly.

Wow, that was one tight snap ring! The yellow handled craftsman worked perfect for me, twice actually since I've been in there more than once. Do you have the part number of the autozone pliars? I could add it to my site. How much were they?

Was the cover being depressed with a c-clamp so the pressure from the cover was off the snap ring?

Great, tons of info I think I'll try to tackle this soon. I'm in Iowa MaddShadez so you probably don't wanna make that hike... but if you do, you'd be in for a treat because we (my wife and I) breed parrots. ;) It's like a private petting zoo.

Back