Registered
Ok, got the mods in today. Yeah !!

Disconnected the battery.
Pumped the break 15 times
Removed the PCM
Cleaned and sanded the connections
Re installed.
Hooked up battery

Took it out and fishtailed it 3 different times in one romp ( the snow tires gotta come off now - I know they shouldnt have been on there but I had to take a long trip this winter and I wasnt driving the 89 F-150 with 150K miles on it).

Brought it back
Disconnected the battery
Removed all existing stock air box, MAF
Removed MAF sensor
Cleaned MAF sensor (air flow side was black with dirt/stuff)
Installed MAF sensor to MAF body
Installed in new MAF and conical filter
Attached to intake tube tightly
Reattached battery
Started car, checked for leaks.
Drove for 25 miles (see below)

I will get an icebox, that way I can put it all back together if I need to. Hope your supplier starts manufacturing again soon Geno !! :)

I am seeing some interesting behavor, love the shifts, the idle is a little low, but getting better as I drive it. I have only put 25 miles on it so far. I did have it die 2 times tonight. Both times were turning and breaking (not accelerating, at idle) at idle RPM ( right after it came out of the touchless carwash- that might have been part of it - see my second question for my concerns there).

The last 10 miles or so have been better, only thing that was strange was when I pulled in the driveway, put it in park, it idled up to about 1500 RPM and then droped back down to about 850. The idle is smooth as silk.. smoother than before ( probably dirty MAF sensor probe).

First question, how far should I drive it before I start seeing consistent behavior and that the computer has learned its new way :)

Secondly, since I dont have an icebox or have modified the stock airbox, what if any issues have any of you ran into with water getting in or around the filter/MAF. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I would be curious everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance to you all... just want to make sure I am on track.

( Yes I cleaned the connections on the chip very well, you can see the cooper on the connections.)

RE: Added LMS Chip and MAF

jayhawk, I didn't think it took long for the computer to assimilate the code. However, when I got my Jerry chip I would get an intermittant check engine light for the first three weeks. One time I accelerated HARD from a stoplight to the next, decelrating quickly, and the engine shook hard, the temp shot up, and I thought it was going to stall. Since then, almost a year and a half, not one light and smooth as glass.
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00A/1A/04/3D/18/l9k57+ruATVfgrS2L26YtFyTvnur2dNK0060.jpg

Disconnected the battery.
Pumped the break 15 times
Removed the PCM
Cleaned and sanded the connections
Re installed.
Hooked up battery

I gotta ask... what's the deal with Pumped the break 15 times?

Was told that it would remove any residual charges that might be left in the capacitors. Maybe I needed to , maybe not, just following the instructions I got from the gentleman that sold me the chip ( used Geno chip).

I'm not debating the necessity of it, it's just the first I've heard of it. I'm the type that usually follows instructions, it's just that sometimes I want to know why I'm doing a certain step in the instructions to help me understand the whole process.;)

I love it! The combination has been great. Even took a 2K mile trip not long after installing the MAF and the chip.

Pro's –
- Tranny shifting under hard acceleration is nice and firm , no slushing around and feels controlled and deliberate.
- Under normal acceleration conditions a slightly stiffer shift but I consider this a benefit as it should lengthen the life of the tranny.
- No more searching for gears or staying to to low of a gear.
- Mileage – got 1.5 MPG increase on the mileage.( Would be better probably if I would stop excersizing the added performance) :)
- Power band change is a great improvement and no more of that massive timing retard between gears
- Noticed improved lower RPM torque and HP

Con’s –

- Gotta watch it, I end up wanting to push the car and drive it faster than before.
- No real cons found other than that above (grin)

Havent noticed much of a change there, other than it does change the shift points slightly. Also I have noticed that when it is in overdrive at lower speeds, it has more torque and the need to downshift isnt as necessary when doing a mild acceleration when in OD.

No other mods yet. Going to get the icebox soon. X Pipes and mufflers later next year ( when I save the money up). Have heard and read many times the exhaust makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the compliment, like the pic of your car also, if mine was black I would tint too, but I think I am going to leave it alone, unless I can maybe get my bonus and get the Cobra R / SVT chrome wheels from Geno. The wife will have a fit if I do any more right now :)

Good luck...

Back