K&N Filter/OEM Air Box Warning

HOTLNC

Charter Member
Paid Member
If you are running a K&N filter in the OEM air box, BEWARE: You MUST use synthetic grease on the filter seal when you install the filter. If you do not, there is a high probably that the motor will pull in outside air through the air box and filter seal that is on the clean side. This is not good for your motor.

I just sent in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for the car driven by #2 daughter (Cougar.) It uses an air box and a K&N filter. The oil sample showed high silicon. Blackstone stated I needed to check my air filtration system. I remembered I was a using a K&N filter. I pulled the filter and sure enough, I noticed a dust trail on the clean side rubber. Not good.

Just recently I read on K&N’s website that synthetic grease should be used on the filter seal to ensure a leak proof seal. I had not read that notice before installing the filter into her car. The notice was NOT in the instructions that came with my filter – I still have it and I checked.

K&N warns that petroleum grease will degrade (melt) the rubber seal. If you have trouble finding synthetic grease, look where the auto store stock Brake Caliper grease. They should have a synthetic on the shelf.

This same thing happened on my wife's brick. I was using K&N in the air box and no grease. HOTLNC uses a conical filter that seals with a hose clamp. No grease needed here.

RE: K&N Filter/OEM Air Box Warning

Well, having a K&N filter on there at all compromises filtration, so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that discussion/argument has been debated for years on the Diesel web site.

Blackstone labs.

They've been doing my oil for almost 5 years.

Back