Tranny Leaking

Mycophiles

Registered
I did the accumulator 1-2 upgrade and now have developed a leak. On the car was the black plastic gasket not cork so I re-used it. Since I put the pan back on I have checked and rechecked the transmission level and always found it very very full. After the upgrade I put 5 quarts of mercon V in the tranny.

During the upgrade I acccidently forgot to put the tranny gasket back on and found a river flowing out of the tranny pan after putting in the merc. V. I then took the pan off and foudn the pan about 1/2 to 1/3 full. This looked about the same level as when I pulle dthe pan the first time.

I check the tranny fluid while both hot and cold and the tranny seems very very full. Is there some kind of everflow valve? Also when I look under the car the leak seems to be further up nearer the engine then where the transmission is located at. Could the torque converter be leaking?

Any help is appreciated. I dont know what to do. I'm pretty sure the pan is torqued down fairly well.

RE: Tranny Leaking

From reading your post, I'm guessing you didn't actually use a torque wrench putting the pan back on. I can't image how that could be done correctly without that tool. Your leak may be coming from a gap in pressure in the gasket. Also, your may have accidently spilled some fluid on the fill pipe that may appear to be a leak toward the engine.

See if you can borrow the torque wrench from someone, its basically the inch/pounds one. The purchase price on a new one is generally $50+. You may be able to check the torque of the bolts in place, going very easy on the testing.

There is no overflow valve on this tranny.

A Mercon V upgrade would necessitate a change out of 12 to 14 quarts of fluid, you need to drain the torque converter and tranny pan at the same time.

If you're going to open it up one more time, take your time and read these instructions for reference: http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/1_2_Accumulator_paper.htm

Good luck

yea I read that help manual and but didnt do the 2-3 upgrade so It says "put about half as much fluid in as you took out".

It sounds like you have a bad "filler tube" O-ring.

Tiff's car was leaking "only when the car was off".
you could watch it drip.
When you started the car it would stop instantley.

Dipstick tube O-ring was the culprit.

Back