EGR replacement.

maxmk8

Registered
OK bad news. My check engine light came on saying its the EGR valve (code 402) i know this is not covered by the ESP. I'm wondering if anyone has done the replacement procedure and would have any diagrams of the job?? Is it hard to do? Any special tools needed? costs involved?

RE: EGR replacement.

kill it and get a chip to take it off. It does more harm than good IMO. You should see what your valves and runners look like due to that POS.
But if oyu insist of replacing it, it is a tough job, and costly. You will have to take the intake off to get to it and do it right in a decent amount of time. All you need to do this is metric tool set, basic handtools, big creceant wrench, common sense, and some patence. To make things 100% easier, I suggest taking the hood off of the car, (takes 10 minutes if oyu bring a friend) then take the cowl off, then taking the intake off to get to it. You will have to get a new EGR tube as well, cause as soon as you touch it; the accordian like metal will rip apart, and you will have an exhasut leak. That tube is on there really tight too, so eat your wheeties. Good luck

damn it... well taking the intake off doesn't really worry me that's not too tough. What i really don't like is hidden screws that can't be reached... and i don't want to mess with exhaust manifolds (look like they are impossible to reach on a mark) does the tube go to the exhaust manifold and has to be unscrewed from there?

yea the tube connects the EGR valve that is bolted onto the intake to the exhasut manifold. It is a bitch.

kill it and get a chip to take it off. It does more harm than good IMO. You should see what your valves and runners look like due to that POS.

Hey Ponyfreak, can you translate that for me? When you say kill it and get a chip to take it off do you mean to install one of the superchips or something similar? And what do you mean by how it makes the valves and runners look due to that POS? What's POS? ;)

I mean remove the EGR from the car. The only chip that I know that will remove it is one made by JW. I get a code thrown, but no ill effects from having removed it. The valves and runners in every 4.6DOHC intake, IMRC, and head that I have owned that had more than 1000 miles on it, had thick deposits of carbon and trash all inside of them. The lower part of the valve stems are just plain disgusting. This is directly related to when the EGR opens and sucks the suuete rich air fro mteh exhasut and injects it back into the plenum if the intake.

POS means purple and orange sheets.

Very funny Hoffman. Is that the best 222 1/2 can come up with?? Did I tell you I bought some thin wall triangle pipe this weekend??? LMAO

Back