Thermostat Question

redn8

Charter Member
Paid Member
I changed both hoses on my car and now it's running hot. It appears no water is getting to the engine. Is it a bad thermostat?

Is the thermostat under the hose on the right as you are facing the front of the car? Can I get to it from the top or do I go from underneath? It looks like a real bear to get to.

RE: Thermostat Question

Norm, you don't remember my tutorial on how to do this cake job?

I did a nice write up before on this. Call me up for a 3 minute explination on how to. Its beyond simple.

I don't remember it. You have to excuse me but if I don't have a problem I don't read it. I'll do a search since Steve's not around to say it.

Could there be air in the system? I did run the car with the overflow cap off. I checked and there is no water in the hose where the t-stat is located.

Geno I read your writeup but I'm not clear on the head filler. I saw your pic but I'm not sure where it is.

Your quote:

Then use a 1/4 drive ratchet to remove the head filler for the coolant located on the top center/right of the engine, also romove the expansion tank fill cap.

Geno I read your writeup but I'm not clear on the head filler. I saw your pic but I'm not sure where it is.

Your quote:

Then use a 1/4 drive ratchet to remove the head filler for the coolant located on the top center/right of the engine, also romove the expansion tank fill cap.

you'll see it under the clean cover.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://mark8.org/users/driller/pics/coolantfill.jpg

Cooling System--Filling

NOTE:
A 50/50 mixture of Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA (ESE-M97B44-A and ESE-M97B43-A) of equivalent and water is required to prevent damage to the cooling system.

1. Check all hose clamps for proper tightness. Ensure radiator draincock is closed.

2. Place heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.

3. Remove pressure cap from cooling system reservoir and fill plug from engine crossover tube.

CAUTION:
Do not fill cooling system through reservoir only. Coolant will not enter engine. Only reservoir and radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.

4. Add coolant into fill neck on engine crossover tube until coolant reaches top of fill neck on cooling system reservoir.

5. Reinstall cooling system pressure cap to reservoir.

6. Continue to fill cooling system at engine crossover fill neck until full.

7. Start engine, run at idle. Add coolant at engine crossover tube until full.

8. Reinstall engine crossover tube full plug.

CAUTION:
If engine temperature gauge does not move, coolant level is low in engine and must be filled. Stop engine, allow to cool and fill cooling system as outlined.

WARNING:
TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE, DO NOT OPERATE ENGINE WITH HOOD OPEN UNTIL FAN HAS BEEN FIRST EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE CRACKS AND SEPARATION.

9. Run engine until thermostat opens (coolant flowing through radiator lower hose becomes hot).

10. Stop engine and add coolant to engine crossover tube fill neck until cooling system is full. Reinstall fill plug.

11. Repeat fill procedure if necessary.

Thnaks guys I am understanding now. I needed that picture, I never thought that was a fill area.

I actually blew a hose yesterday and replaced it. Do you think if I fill the head filler that could cure the problem? I guess I'm talking to myself because I'll try that first. Fingers crossed.

Thnaks again.

Using a ¼ drive ratchet on the cap for the crossover fill tube is not enough sometimes. Sometimes the cap is on there pretty good and you end up with a twisted or broken extension like I did one time. I use big vise grips.

I did get it off and it was tight. My problem is fixed. Thanks!

Any air in the system is bad. I thought that the underhood sticker had the bleeding procedure on it. Good write up Geno.

Any air in the system is bad. I thought that the underhood sticker had the bleeding procedure on it. Good write up Geno.

I'm sure it does but you have to read it for it to work. If all else fails read directions. That's me.

Norm: I just sent you a basketball for Father's Day but I forgot to include the instructions. I know how you are so I will put them here.
1. Drop ball on hard surface.
2. When fall bounces up, catch it.
3. Repeat.

I'm unclear on step 2.
When fall bounces up, catch it.

Back