Long crank, fuel issue?

jhaas_lsc

Registered
Ok team, chew on this one. I got an issue where if I turn the key immediately to start, the engine will turn over for 3-4 seconds before it starts. If I turn the key on, wait 5 seconds, and then go to the start position, it starts right up.

I'm thinking this is most likely a leaking injector dropping all my fuel pressure (usually happens overnight and while I'm at work) - I've run FI cleaner through it once, but that didn't seem to help any.

I don't want to replace all the injectors, is there any other miracle fix or troubleshooting I should do first? Fuel pump sounds just fine, no starvation at WOT, lots o' power, (and it re-pressurizes the system every time, if my theory is correct) - I just don't want to break the damned thing dropping pressure and bringing back up twice a day. Anyway, I'm rambling now...

ps - I use Chevron premium grade religiously. Could it be the fuel? Only other convenient stations to me are Exxon, Shell, and (ugh) CITGO.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

RE: Long crank, fuel issue?

These are just idle thoughts from the peanut gallery...

The first line you wrote would leave me to believe the fuel pump isn't putting out enough pressure to pressurize the system quickly. This could be a dirty fuel filter, open injector, weak fuel pump, fuel pump sock dirty, bad gas cap (not venting properly) or a kink in the fuel line. Could also be a leak in the fuel line but I doubt it.

Leaking injectors. They happen but not really that often, a fuel pressure gauge hooked up might help to see what's up when you shut off the engine (as in how long it takes to bleed down the system). Fuel injector cleaner is over rated as most fuels in use today are formulated for fuel injected vehicles. This just means there's a lot of detergent in modern gasoline used in the US.

Fuel brand. Here in Maryland gasoline is gasoline regardless of if you get it from Exxon, Texaco etc. All of our local refiners buy from each other so it doesn't matter. They just stick in extra detergent or dye before they ship it out. Just as long as you use premium fuel and buy it from a station that keeps their tanks clean you're golden. Uh, no, Exxon, Gulf etc do not advertise the fact that they use each others gasoline stock, the marketing boys would have a cow if it was common knowledge.

Huh, I'm rambling too :)

Don't sweat the "repressurizing" the system, you're aren't doing any damage.

What I would do is check that the fuel filter is clean, the fuel pressure is not dropping like a rock when I shut down the car and forget about it. I always turn on my key, wait a few seconds then start my car. This lets the fuel system pressurize and the computer acclimate itself with its enviroment. This also lets me turn down the radio that is still blaring from last time I drove the car :)

So the fuel system should actually depressurize itself by design? I got a new fuel cap last state inspection, apparently the old one wasn't any good - never have gotten any hiss from this car when removing the cap, be it on a hot day or after driving or anything. The fiancee's Honda on the other hand, WOW, stand back when you open that one - like opening a 2-liter after shaking the hell out of it.

Ya - I'm really at a loss, it's not a huge deal, it just is gonna end up burning my fingers holding the starter on for a few extra seconds - that metal shroud gets DAMN hot here, and it's just now JUNE!!!! UGH!!!

According to the service manual, static fuel pressure should be normal within 5 seconds of turning on ignition, and the static leakdown test should be less than 5 psi per minute after shutdown.

Key on engine off static fuel pressure shouls be 37-43 psi.

Any suspect system will need to be tested with a pressure guage. A whole battery of tests are prescribed in the troubleshooting section. Besides the injectors, the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump check valve are responsible for minimizing static leakdown pressure loss.

Well this brings an interesting topic - restarting car up to an hour or so after shutdown, so problem.

Wonder if the fuel pump may just be getting lazy on me... or a crappy fuel filter.

I'll try the fuel filter first and let you know the results.

Back