tube in front of alternator

D Day

Registered
Is there a way to remove the pipe infront of the alternator, the black paint on the pipe is starting to crack and peel so I started to polish it, but I can't do a good job if it is not off.
Can someone please tell me how to remove it?
Thanks,
David
Lincoln
Mark VIII

RE: tube in front of alternator

Are you referring to the black tube that runs horizontally with the hose attached to it? If so that sends water to the engine.

Yes, it is the steel pipe that I am talking about, alot of people "dress up" the two connecting hoses, I plan to do that but for now I just want to take off STEEL pipe.
Thanks, David
Lincoln
Mark VIII

It's called the crossover tube, and yes it does come off. I had it off when working on the intake, and it was difficult to say the least. I took the alternator off and then stuck a piece of 2x2 long enough so that you can reach it from the bottom of the engine and slowly hammer in out of there. Do each side a bit and it will come out eventually. Make sure you get new o-rings to properly seal it when you put it back in there. Also be careful not to put too many dents in it. Good luck.

Where can I get new O-rings at to properly seal the crossover tube and it's radiator fluid that is in it, correct, is it ok if I don't drain the radiator.
by the way thanks for your replys
Lincoln
Mark VIII

Well you should drain the system far enough to get the coolant out of the crossover tube. Or , you can just have antifreeze go all over the place... :)

To each his own :)

"I cleaned, sanded and painted mine without removing it."

My hat goes off to you driller, looks very nice and the paint job looks CLEAN.

I removed the crossover pipe today, didn't know it was bolted down so it took me a while to pop it out. As I was about half way done polishing this awkward object it came apart, it's TWO pieces, much easier to polish now and I bought some paint stripper for those hard to reach places, Looks good, wish I had some pics for you guys.
Once again thanks for everyone’s replies, David

Lincoln
Mar"k VIII

Back