How to remove the Frikkin Valve Cover?

M

MonsterMark

Anybody know how to remove the drivers side valve cover without pulling the engine?

I have loved this car for the last 8 years but I have had enough. When a car manufacturer designs a car that takes 2-1/2 hours to pull a valve cover, they simply suck and I am way pissed off.

Any help would be appreciated.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

RE: How to remove the Frikkin Valve Cover?

My 1998 Mark 8 {"Winkin"} had developed a valve gasket oil leak under presssure, very little around town, but at extended speeds of over 55 with a ~HOT~ engine she was spittin' out oil. I took it to Maplecrest L~M and in order to remove the valve cover to replace the gasket the had to drop some support bar under the engine, then support the engine with some sort of brace, and lower the engine like 2" in order to make the necessary clearance underhood to remove the thing. I recall it was 4 hours, and they were pissed! Had never done one before because "everyone else always lets it just leak" they said.

Well Sandy, I appreciate the story. As you know, misery loves company. Anyway, I got it off. 6ft, 245lbs of raging Irish/German/Italian is all it took. LOL

Can't wait to pull the heads. I going downstairs right now to bench press a couple hundred pounds, just for a warm up.

Bryan

Let Bill Ford take one of these things apart. I would love to see it. Maybe then they would kick these so-called engineers in the head. Morons.

You need to hear from "Pony" or "Geno" one of the motor heads around here. But I recall it is not a cup of tea to remove the thing. I thought about doing it to have the cover "colored" in some way - but after I read the about the hassle - I found something else to do.

Anyone have any tricks?

I always took just the brake lines off and pushed them out of the way to get it off. I heard a new trick to getting them off the other day from Chris. If you take the fuse box out and stuff out you can lift up on it, then slide it out towards the front of the car.

Thanks Joe.

Here is what it took.
Remove the brake lines.
Disconnect the harness.
Disconnect the injectors.
Disconnect the throttle.
Disconnect
Disconnect
Disconnect
Yank, pull, move, cajole, crank, torque, jimmy, bob and whatelse and you're there.

I don't want to share it all with you guys. Don't want to ruin some of the enjoyment for you in the future.

Battery, alternator, brakes, steering, crossover over-tube all gone. Next up, intake manifold, fan, radiator, other side. Then I guess I will pull the motor, just for the "H" of it.

Bryan

Edit...Actually, you have to rotate it from the bottom side up to clear the cam bolts and then pull it up evenly and then forward. Kind of like the oil filter. Same B.S.

Geno, are you trying to make me look bad or feel bad?:p

I did everything you did there in addition to disconnecting the brake lines. What is really stupidly hilarious is I am going to wind up with two cars in the exact same position. Fortunately, the Monster is in Ohio. I am sure if I took up the whole garage with two cars, I'd be talking to my lawyer by now. It would be kind of fun, two cars side by side, switch back and forth between them, try different things. After this weekend, completely empty engine bay.

Right now, looking for a third Mark. BigBill, your car for sale? It would save me alot of time and trouble. I wouldn't mind working on them but there is just no room and everything is a struggle. I suppose once you do it 5-10 times, it gets easier.

I'll stop pissing and moaning now and get back to it.

Bryan

Absolute LOVE !
If were mine, it'd be on my friend's used car lot.

I don't know what it is with cars, I like to beat them till they are dead. I hate to give them up, unless it is to the junk yard. Just me I guess. I don't like to let anything beat me so I work on them till I finally give up. After I pull the motor, do some head work, bearings, and stuff, I'll see where I go with this. But, you are right, it is LOVE!

Bryan

2nd thoughtSS....
Nope, not love at all.....

It's the infamous "Man over Machine" ~ the power, brawn & brain over an object, to get or to make that object conform or perform as we desire, to be its Lord & Master, and to overcome odds against us.

THAT'S IT !! :)

[font size = "12"]BINGO!!![/font]

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's it. Hit the nail on the head my man...

Now, if only I could apply these same skills to mastering my wife...kids...friends...etc.

Bryan

Back