Economy cars..

BABORACUS

Registered
Alright, all you guys must have n idea for an economy car.. Well I did a little research and surprsingly the 95-99 DOHC neons are 150 HP and a shade under 2400 lbs, and get 35-40 MPG on the highway! I hate to say it, but a DOHC neon is probably my choice of economy cars after researching all of them and figuring that out. What do you guys all think/have?

RE: Economy cars..

A mark 8 pulls down 25+ mpg on the highway if you leave it stock. If you're looking for gas mileage, you'll see the most advantage around town.

Neons are dirt cheap. A good economy beater. But be ready to turn some wrenches.

I actually have one "on order" so to speak. A co-worker bought one new and took very good care of it. All the performance options including a stick. He's gonna upgrade cars in a year or two, i told him i have dibs on his car. It should be a good $2000 beater.

Neons are total POS, You rarely see one running after 7 years. Most that i have seen for sale that are pre 2000 have a blown engine/tranny or something else. I wouldn't trust one in the long run. Geo Metros on the other hand are fairly reliable and get really good mileages. But they are embarrassing to look at and be seen in. I would recommend a Geo Prizm, a rebadged corolla built at the same plant out here in cali, and they sell for 30% less. Get close for 40 on the freeway and are going to be way more reliable than a neon.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
C5 6 speed Corvettes get 30+ on the hwy...Now that's an economy car... :Dhttp://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/images/loveit.gif -JLOD - New England Member--> www.ivotedblue.com www.airamericaradio.com--> www.bradleyreport.net www.npr.org
[/div]

Funny that you should mention that as after having done some research I am currently looking to trade my Focus in on a c5 6 speed vette! Good looks, Great power, Awesome handling, Many upgrade mods, and gas mileage. Need I say more.

Years ago Hubby wanted to get a Geo to save us money on gas as he had a long commute. I wouldn't let him. He gets in too many accidents. So whatever cost savings would be made up in gas short term, I'd lose in his income long term. ;) J/K sort of - I place safety at a much higher importance.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]...I am currently looking to trade my Focus in on a c5 6 speed vette! Good looks, Great power, Awesome handling, Many upgrade mods, and gas mileage. Need I say more.
[/div]

Um... Bill... do those performance mods mean more stickers? }(

relability is an issue I feared in Neons. So how about picking up a Toyota Echo for around 4,000 (after taxes, and possibly shipping)? They only weigh 2024 lbs and spin out around 108 HP so hopefully it won't rattel apart on the freeway.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The body will probably rot off the car before you have any major mechanical trouble. Just make sure you have nice long on-ramps to get up to speed... :Dhttp://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/images/loveit.gif -JLOD - New England Member--> www.ivotedblue.com www.airamericaradio.com--> www.bradleyreport.net www.npr.org
[/div]

Precisely the reason why I only buy cars for my wife and I that can do 0-60 in less than 10 seconds. Even my wife's H2 can beat 10 seconds. (It's not stock).

Man Steve that Vette is beautifull. And my favorite color too. My vote for a low priced well made dependable car is the pontiac grand am 4 banger.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

They dont make them anymore, but the Ford Probe is a great fun eco car to drive.

I had a 1995 GT and got 30mpg highway with it. The thing handled great and was actually fairly quick. They also have a 4 banger version and I heard that they are fun to drive as well. I put well over 100,000 miles on my 95 and never had a major problem at all with it. The last body style for the probes are pretty nice IMO, not big on the wedge shaped ones from the late 80's, but once they changed bodies they are nice looking cars and you can pick them up cheap as well.

what a coincidence you bring up probes. I called someone once about getting a different car and the guy was all like oh yeah we got a ford probe V6 outside. went there it was a 93 4 cylinder with like 160,000 miles, ummm thanks but no thanks. I was so psyched to get a V6 probe too.

That would suck getting your hopes up like that, but if you took out a 4 banger Probe you'd be surprized at how nice they are and fairly peppy for a 4 banger. Of course I wouldn't go with anything but the GT version of the Probe. You can find plenty of GT's by me if you look around

well, any car with a 5 spd is peppy. That's why economy cars really aren't as bad as some may presume. Hell, they probably feel faster around town than our mark 8s. Obviously they arent but they sure feel do sometimes!

Back