"Carnivale"

M Darrah

Registered
Is there ANYBODY besides me who watches this show? Tonight's episode was amazing! "Management" finally speaks! And what's up with this Lodz character? Is he the Devil, trying to corrupt/tempt Ben? Then there's this ring business, with possible references to the Freemasons/Nights Templar and the Crusades(?). I've heard quite a few more question will be asked in the coming episodes (4 left I think), but by the end of the season, many will be answered. Then if they go by HBO's usual practice, it'll be another nine months before a new season. Bummer.

RE: "Carnivale"

We've been watching at my house. I don't think Lodz is as important as that... he wants to be important to Ben but Ben doesn't trust him. Which is probably smart, he's unstable and really I think just has lust for power, so if he becomes Ben's "mentor" or whatever then he becomes important.

The Freemasons of today are a revival of a group formed out of the few Templars who survived their dissolution in the 1400s, so they are not really making the link between Masonry and the Crusades, just referring to it...

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

RE:

RE:

I've been watching it. It's a strange story that's full of symbolism. The hard part is trying to follow all the side issues. I anticipate a battle between good and evil. Which is good and which is evil?

Edit: Remember Theologian? He claimed he was a bishop in the Knights Templar.

RE:

RE:

I've been watching it. It's a strange story that's full of symbolism. The hard part is trying to follow all the side issues. I anticipate a battle between good and evil. Which is good and which is evil?

[/quote]

Ha! I forgot I'd started this thing. I think Theologian left right before I joined, but I've seen some of his stuff. Would be interesting to hear his take on it.

Things are definitely getting interesting. I don't think it's much of a stretch at this point to say Brother Justin is on the side of Evil. But who knows.

Tonight we find out Management came on right after Scudder left, and is on a hunt to find him. Scudder's been sending Ben his dreams, and even addresses Lodz through one.

A few things worth noting. Justin and his sister came from Russia. The mystery guy we see in Ben's dreams who is some sort of counterpart to Scudder is apparently Russian (he wears a Russian uniform in the WWI dream sequences). The bear that starts to attack Scudder/Ben (and subsequently mauls the Russian) is wearing a hat with Cyrillic writing on it. Then Lodz shows up in the middle of the battle looking for the bear. In another dream, we see the mystery Russian in a medical tent, with claw marks on his face, and missing an arm and both legs. Then tonight we're told that everything goes back to "something terrible" that happened in "the old country".

The fact that we know almost nothing about the Russian makes me wonder if he's not in fact Management. Noteworthy is the vision(?) Ben had of the bear's hat hanging on the side of Management's trailer at the end of one episode. Perhaps the "battle of good against evil" in the last generation never came to a proper conclusion because Lodz's bear screwed things up (that sounds simplistic I know). Anyway, now the Russian/Management is looking for Scudder so that they can settle things once and for all and bring order to the universe. After all, the world is pretty screwed up at the moment, with the Depression and the Dust Bowl and all. Maybe it's a result of the imbalance caused by the battle not being finished.

Meanwhile, the next generation (Ben and Justin) are well on their way to realizing their own destiny. Justin's quite a few steps ahead of Ben right now, but Ben's starting to learn.

And what of the Templars? In Justin's vision in the "wilderness", the children (young Justin and Iris) keep going on about the "assassins" sent to kill them. They also say their father is an "evil man". What little I know about the Nights of the Templar, they were the ones who were the protectors of Christians, among MANY other things. If the Russian was Justin's and Iris' father, perhaps the Templars did indeed send someone after the children as a "pre-emptive" strike so to speak.

Where the Tattooed Man fits into all of this, I don't have a clue.

Then again, I need to get a life.

RE:

RE:

You guys suck. I almost got HBO just so I could watch this series, but I am a cheap A$$. I looked awesome. O well I guess I'll waite until they put it on DVD

RE:

RE:

the church in which he was ordained claimed to have decended from the Templars. SLightly different but yes.

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black
dynoed at 247.5hp / 259.7ft-lb!

RE:

RE:

I think we got a pretty good clue who's BAD in the last episode of the season. Holy S***! What an ending! It's got to be the most mind-blowing season finale of all time.

Brother Justin - AntiChrist.
Ben - still as dumb as a box of hammers AND hasn't taken a bath in months.
Lodz - dead.
Sofie - dead (fine by me).
Appy - dead.
Jonesy - dead.

And now we have a whole YEAR until next season. HBO, you suck!

Back