Saw Deftones/APC

Pauls dropped 8

Registered
i took a trip up to orlando this past monday to catch a couple shows. i got up there in a solid 3 and 1/2 hours even after a stop for a speeding ticket ($50). both shows were at the Hardrock Live Orlando venue.

the 1st night was scheduled for the deftones. a band that has eluded me since their start-up in the 90s. i make it into the venue right on time (7:30) to see the 1st of the 2 opening acts, Denali. while these folx arent exactly whats usually in my cd collection, they sounded pretty good. the singer was great. her voice sounded amazing in this venue. the 2nd band, poison the well, id heard of but never actually heard before. these guys put on one hell of a show. im definitely gonna download some of their stuff. i thought they were gonna overshadow the deftones based on the reviews id heard before about the deftones. well, out they come, and i have to say, i have had another religious experience (the first when i saw meshuggah for the 1st time). id heard the band doesnt play well together and chino's singing is pretty sad, but both are far from the truth. the venue may have played a big part in this but i have to say the show was amazing. they covered all their albums and played all my favorites with the exception of "damone". i left there on the verge of passing out soaked in sweat. i had to sit down for a while to collect myself since i was all over the floor that night and almost pulled something screaming the lyrics all night.

the next night was A Perfect Circle. i got there and was frisked at the door. i guess APC demands more security. i get in to hear the opening act already going. i dont know who they were and i dont care to find out. they sucked so bad. APC finally makes it to the stage around 8:30 and sounded incredible. like tool/meshuggah, they sounded better live than on their albums. they covered the majority of both their albums with some talking between the songs and still managed to be finished at 9:45. my only complaint was how short the show was, but they did cover their best songs. ive never been to a show where there wasnt some sort of movement in the crowd, be it a mosh pit or other. people were nodding there heads to the music with a few people really getting into it, myself being one of them. this was also the 1st show that i didnt break a sweat in. great music, short show, lack of activity. the music made up for the negatives though. anyone ever hear a song about slacks from these guys before? maynard asked the bassist what he was wearing and they broke into a song about Charley(?) and his slacks. never heard it before.

the Hardrock Live Orlando venue was amazing. the acoustics were perfect. there was no cancelation no matter what part of the venue u were standing in. i will definitely go to more shows here.

i usually pick up a shirt when i go to shows and these 2 were the first ones that i didnt do that for. i passed on a shirt at the deftones because of its price of $28, for the cheapest one, to save my cash for APC since ive already got a deftones shirt. i get to the APC show to see their cheapest shirt for $35. so i said to hell with it and bought myself some chicken wings and brew after the show at a near-by Ale House.

Back