The Movie: The Passion of Christ

Sandy

Registered
I have been asked as to what my opinion is of above captitioned movie. In truth, I have no opinion. Due to a virus-condition I had as a child, I do not go to the movies. I'd say in my lifetime I have been to less than a dozen movies. The last movie I went to was in 1991. I forget what it was. The darkness of the theatre, combined with the ultra bright screen and frequent "action" scenes and jumping of frames is very disturbing to my eyes, and brings on a severe headache. When I rent a VHS at home and watch a movie on television I am able to keep on the room's lights, and then everything is okay. I have heard that there is alot of gore and blood and killing in the movie, i.e. one reviewer on television said it was the most he had ever seen in one movie! Therefore, it's not my kind of movie, anyhow, and I do not know the story it depicts. If you are wondering what MY "take" is on Christ, that is very easy to find on the web. Google: Jewish views on Jesus Christ will do it. I do know two Jewish people who have seen the movie and they both said that it was not offensive, if that's any help.

RE: The Movie: The Passion of Christ

I drove back from Atlanta Yesterday and every radio station in the country was talking about it. Knowing your a level-headed guy and also knowing you probably had not seen it, I wanted to hear what all the anti-semetic talk was about when half the people complaining about anti-semitism had not yet seen the movie. So to hear 2 acquantances of yours have seen it and were not bothered is a good sign. There was an immediate shift from the anti-semitic objections when they didn't wash to an unnecessasarily brutal position to try and stop the viewership and that children under the age of 18 should not be allowed to view it (R rated). I listened to a half dozen kids from age 11 on up that said it was really powerful and moving. I'm afraid to see it. I'll probably wind up in Church for the next year and a half just trying to catch up. Maybe I'll record it for you in the theater and then download a 1400 mb file to you. LOL.

Thanks for the response. From what I've heard, anybody of faith needs to see this movie.

Bryan
MonsterMark

The Anti-Semites love to tout that the Jews killed Christ, and in modern America, this does bring about Anti Semitism, among those who can't think clearly. You see, prior to the death of Jesus, there were THE Romans AND THE Hebrews. So, I mean really, of course it wasn't the Christians, as Christianity was yet to be ~ therefore of course the Christians did NOT kill him, there were NO Christians, yet... If a person or persons WANTS to find a way or ways to hate Hebrews, they can find it on the back of a box of Corn Flakes - (somehow).
It's a movie, for gosh sakes. As such, it's not necessairly 100% truthful and stone-cold to reality. One brings to the theatre their own pre-concieved notions about religion(s) and will take from the movie those parts that will back up their own convections, and agree with them, so as to strengthen their own feelings, good, bad or ugly.
EDIT:
PS/ I recall the LAST movie I saw IN A THEATRE ! It was called "Independance Day" - I do not recall the year, but due to my eye condition from a viral infection as a child, I cold not drive home afterwards, marking the time Karen drove us home in the Sixty Special, nearly causing a heart attack in me !!! :( :( :(

I always thought that God (The Father), the Uncaused Causer, crucified his son?

Good point, jd ~ Assuming God can/could stop all evil, I guess HE could have stopped the torture/cruicfiction of Christ.

This is all waaay beyond me. I really am not very religious, speaking soly about RELIGION (Organized). I am very Jewish in guiding my life by modern-day Jewish "ideals" pertaining to family and answering to the man in the miror, and trying to treat people the way I'd like to be treated in return, and putting my son's needs ahead of my own, and honoring the Memory of my parents lives, and taking care of my body/health.

(Pass the pepperoni, please) :)

i always thought that all of this was one big fairy tail no better than what mother goose gave. thats just my opinion though.

Don't you find it tough to navigate the open seas without a compass Paul?

Bryan
MonsterMark

Sorry Paul, wrong Paul. That inference was for the Paul from Miami in the post before yours. My apologies. I usually use the reply feature from the post I was referring to but this time I didn't.

Bryan
MonsterMark

im having a fine time navigating. i try and stear clear of the brainwashing that goes on in the media and childhood.

Wow, it looks like somebody has figured out how the universe started. Me, I still can't figure out how to make something from nothing.

Bryan
MonsterMark

who the hell cares how the universe started. some people need to just realize that there are questions that probably wont be indefinitely answered. and saying god works in mysterious ways is a friggin cop out.

I saw the movie last night. To say the least it is very moving. Definitly makes you think. I am not a squeamish person. The blood and gore in the movie did not bother me. I will worn those who can't stomache gore to cover there eyes. The movie jumps back in forth with JC remebering things as a vision reminds him. If you have trouble comprehending things you will probably need to see this at least twice. My mother would get caught up in the subtitles and then a JC vision dream/thought and be confused for a few moments.

I would recommend this movie to anyone. I can see this winning a lot of awards. Any questions just ask. The only people I think should not see this movie would be young children and people with a medical condition like Sandy or epiletics(sp). Unless it is treatable with meds. Or if your religous beliefs go another route you might not wish to see this; but, that is up to you. Not trying to start religous rant. I understand that this is a big world with a lot of people with different ideas and beliefs.

So go and enjoy the movie. Go with in open mind and an empty stomache.

Go with in open mind and an empty stomach.

THAT'S VERY FUNNY :)
I'll see it when it comes out in another format, for at home viewing, with a 50 watt bulb on in the room. By that time, nobody will be talking about this movie!

I bet it is not nominated for a single award. The Hollywood left is irate right now, but rest assured, they are busy behind the scenes trying to make their own versions of religious movies. They can smell the money and want part of the action. I can't wait for Mel to do the sequel called "The Resurrection of the Christ". He should time that release with the passing of Planet X and the eliminatation of 1/3 of the planets inhabitants. We are only a year or two away from a nuclear genocide so I hope something happens soon to change the ways of mankind.

Bryan
MonsterMark

You are kidding me, yes?
The movie will will many, many awards!

Not a chance, Sandy. Show me one Hollywood reviewer that speaks highly of the film. They can't afford to nominate it for anything. How totally politically incorrect that would be. All they talk about is how Mel will never get another big movie in Hollywood again.

Bryan
MonsterMark

Not a chance, Sandy. Show me one Hollywood reviewer that speaks highly of the film. They can't afford to nominate it for anything. How totally politically incorrect that would be. All they talk about is how Mel will never get another big movie in Hollywood again.

Bryan
MonsterMark

[link:tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/040223.html|Ebert & Roeper] gave it 2 thumbs up.

http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmrk2.jpg

Back