Toothbrush for detailing

Dr Dave

Registered
If you use a toothbrush for detailing the wax from the cracks on your car, you may find this useful:

Bend your toothbrush back approximately 45 degrees. Wrap the bristles with aluminum foil and carefully rotate the neck of the toothbrush slowly over a candle or cigarette lighter. You must be patient and never allow the toothbrush handle to get closer than 3 inches to the flame. After the plastic handle begins to get soft from the heat, bend the toothbrush head back to the desired angle and run the handle under cold water.

The toothbrush handle will maintain the shape that it was when it cooled. Remove the aluminum foil from around the bristles and your detail brush will be much easier to use.

RE: Toothbrush for detailing

Great idea! I am ALWAYS wrenching my arm around to get the bristles flat and the handle far enough away to not scratch against a nearby surface.

This will do it!

Also - can anyone recommend a larger brush to scrub the wheel wells... tough enough to get the yuck out of there after a winter of slush and mud - and soft enough to not scratch the painted parts.

I have a brush for a horse I got from a farm supply store - it's pretty tough and will scratch if you push it, but it works pretty well.

Nice trick on the tooth brush. Another trick I learned is to use quick mist detailer to help get dry wax out of cracks.

Scott

it can be the best quality, but they are still pretty rough. plus the fibers used in paint brushes are usually "tipped" making the brushing surface even stiffer.

Back