Etched wheels

M Darrah

Registered
I don't know if this is the right forum, but here it is:

It looks like at some point before I bought my car, someone used some strong (acid-based) wheel cleaner on the chrome wheels and didn't rinse them off very well. A couple of the wheels are etched in spots, making them look dull even when clean.

I was wondering if it would help to use some chrome/metal polish to see if I can polish out the etching. Is this even worth trying, or is the chrome just ruined for good? Do these wheels have a clear coat on them of any kind?

Granted, I'm getting the dreaded lifting around the center hub, but I don't have the cash for a new set of wheels right now (maybe never). I'd just like them to look presentable for as long as possible.

RE: Etched wheels

if they get bad, take them to a body shop and have them bead blasted and sealed with a new coat of clear. Did it with the wheels from my other car and it oly ended up costing me about $80 to do the set, and they had to strip red (turned pink) powder coat off for that proce too. The mettal turns into a soft grey metalic, but is glossy from the clear coat. Its a cheap fix and looks respecatble. I think im going to have to do that to my (not stock...thanks art) chrome snowflake wheels, they are getting pretty bad since the winter, but I dont care, they are thew ugliest wheels I have ever laid eyes on.....sorry, just venting....

RE: Etched wheels

you can have mine, I hate them, ugliest wheels I have ever laid eyes on even with the chrome. Plus the chrome is flaking around the edge of the center cap.

HAHA, Just kidding, im going to use them as winter wheels until the chrome gets so bad, ill have them blasted like I was talking about before. and then if they get bad after that Im going to melt them down and turn them into something that isnt so ugly.

Back