Wax's My tests....

Nysbadmk8

Registered
Well everyday i get to use about 3-6 diffrent waxes, i own about 16 diffrent kinds and well im going to share my experiences with you

Pinnacle Souvran- White in color, butter like melts with the touch of your finger, very pleasant coco butter like smell. Extreamly easy to apply, and to take off, sometimes it streaks on dark colored cars but goes away after the first detail mist, durability is average, water spoting is slight. Shine is bright, very reflective, Depth is Awesome, mile deep shine. one of the things i dont like is the container which they package it. its very hard to use the last 60% of the container. Cost is another factor. $56 for 8oz

Pinnacle Liquid Souvran- White in color, no real scent, average thinkness. Easy on, very easy off, no streaking, durabilty is average, water spoting is slight, Shine is bright but under the pastes brightness, depth is deep but still less then the paste.
$70 for 64oz

Zymol Creme- Blue creme color, pleasant smell, melts with the touch of your finger, very oily. Easy on, little touch to remove, leaves oil behind unless buffed correctly, Some streaking on dark colors, goes away with the first wash. Durability is above average, water spot remove easyly, Shine is decent, depth is deep pool like. Surface has a semi rough feeling after 2-3 weeks, All zymol waxes feel like this no clue why. $38 8oz

Zymol Carbon- Same as above but for dark colored cars, reduced streaking, less oily feel. $38 oz

Zymol titatinum- Touted as a "estate glaz" which has to be hand applied. I was uncomfortable with the way they want the wax applied, so i did it my way and there way, came out the same both ways. Dark blue in color, very oily, tropical scent, melts with the touch of your finger. As sugested for use on suv's only, i saw no diffrence for Suv's trucks or cars. Touted to block road salt, and other road grunge. I waxed my truck with this wax and Applied a rock salt mix to the rocker panels. Most of the wax was removed. I was very dissapointed. Very hard to apply if you do it per instructions, easy to remove, durability was poor, shine was bright, depth was pool like deep, no streaking. Cost is high. $ 54 8oz

Zaino Z-2 Zfx treated- Surface must be perfect, clay bar, de oxidized, make sure no left over wax is on the paint!
Since the New zaino reformulation and my introduction to Zfx flash cure i have become a zaino beliver. Very easy to apply, very easy to remove if left to dry correctly, Awesome shine, Has good depth, Gets better with 2-3 additional coats. Awesome water repelling ability, water spotting is ok, awesome durability is upkept correctly. My grips!!!! Needs more then one coat too beat most waxes, if not kept correctly ( Zaino wash, and Z-6 weekly ) gets dull quick. highlights paint imperfections. If needed to be removed off of paint only solvent cleaners really remove it. Cost.Cost.Cost. College degree and a lot of common sense required to apply correctly. Bottom line Nothing beats its flexability and durabilty and shine All together, but you need to realllllllly love you car. Put aside a full 8 hrs to start zaino, and 3 hrs weekly to upkeep it. $13 16oz zfx $20 does 16oz.

Detail kings Sts 2000- If you need prtection, and extream ease of use this is it for you! White in color, liquid, no real scent, thin, Extreamly easy to apply, Extreamly easy to use, Decent shine, decent depth, good brightness, AWESOME durability 3-4 months +,Surface becomes very slick, No water spotting, this is a polymer based wax, i love this wax, one of my favorites! $30 for 1 gallon

Detail king Cherry wax- Carnuba based wax, red in color, has cherry scent, is liquid, thick, easy on, easy off, good shine, decent depth, average brightness, All around a average wax, i hardly use it anymore, its good for the honda at home but nothing you want to show off. $25 for 1 gallon

Meguiars Yellow hi-tech wax- Not much high tech about about it, carnuba based, yellow in color, offending solvent like smell, extreamly thick, average to get on, average to get off, Decent shine, good depth, brightness is ok, water spoting is a problem, stains moldings. I dont like it. $30 for a gallon

Meguiars Cleaner wax- Yellow in color, liquid, very thick, very oily, very bad smell, this wax has surface cleaning power, removes oxidation, and very tough stains, Very bright shine, very deep also, No durability, water spots bad, stains moldings. $26 64oz

Meguairs Polymer sealant- Another polymer player, very thick liquid, no smell, white in color, easy on, average off, Dull shine, decent depth, no water spoting, awesome durability, Theres better, cheaper poly sealants out there. $31 64oz

Ibiz- Yellowish color, decent smell, liquid, average thinkness, uses Montan wax instead of carnuba as a base, Very easy on, Very easy off, Above average shine, good depth, nice brightness, stains moldings, Slick surface, water spoting is above average, durability is better then a carnuba but worse then a poly wax. As a off brand i really dont use it much, but it has a slight cult following, has some cleaning ability, i dont like that on a final wax my surfaces are perfect before waxing. Theres better out there. $18 32oz

detail king Polyseal express- Clear, waterish liquid, no smell, this is a quick wax god, take 3 minutes, spray on, dry off, not for shine, all it does is add a polymer protectant, what i like to do is add it on top of carnuba waxes to extended there lifespan, if used alone it lasts 30-60 days, great water protection. $36 1 gallon

Glare paint sealant- Claims and warrenty's 5 year protection, uses polymers and "glasiplexin" 2 step wax first you use it as a polish 2nd step is used as a wax, easy on, easy off, very bright shine, leaves the surface very slick, very deep shine, After 4 months water still beads and still looks decent after a quick detail spray, or wash... i would say it lasts 1 year, very expensive. $25 16oz

Zaino Z-5 No Zfx- Orange in color, thick liquid, no real smell, easy to apply as long as you do it correctly and have Z-1 polish-lok applied first, decent to remove, good protection, extreamly good at hiding most paint imperfections, i like to ad Z-2 over it for more shine, depth and durability. $12.95 16oz

Blackfire All Paint Protection- White, thick liquid, polymer based, No real smell, Streaks badly on dark colors, goes away after first wash, hard to apply, hard to remove, Said to last 270 days, Very bright, very deep shine, Durability is awesome, highlights paint imperfections, bad on dark colors. $ 15 16oz

Ask every question you want, tell me if there a wax you think i should try.

Waxes waiting to be tested, 3m liquid wax, 3m paste wax, 3m show car wax, pinnacle paste glaz, ps21s wax, and others.

RE: Wax's My tests....

And to add "what i use"

I Zaino the vette, I use pinnacle souvran on my lincolb, and Liquid souvran with Sts2000 over it on my truck

Just wait until you get to the
pinnacle paste glaz, (that's what I use), and I ain't changin' ~ :)

Are you working for some type of an independant lab or future competitior of these products? You must be waxing all day - every day??!!

Who would have thought Petey would become the wax king of Long Island.

I like Nu Finish, in tests a few years ago, Consumers Report rated the liquid as best of all they tested.

So I tried it on my MK8 {dark Portofino Blue}, and on my new Chev. pickup{white}.

In both cases, used clay bar first, Nu Finish went on easy, and removal was ok also.

Gloss is good enough, and orotection seems to be excellent, with resistance to wash off really great.

Only a week after waxing the truck. I had an encounter with a gallon can of house paint primer {story some other time}, which resulted in the use of $10.00 in quarters @the car wash around the corner in a desperate, but successful effort to get that paint off my new truck!

Only took a little clay bar work here and there to get the little traces here and there.

Yesterday the truck and I were caught in a real GA "Frog Strangler" rainstorm, and the water is still beading up after all that washing with the harsh detergents that those car washes use.

Nice work pete!

I have used NU Finish, and I liked it, but no Wax expert like our friend Pete with the hidden talent.

Hmmm... interesting thread. I usually prefer Super Glaze, by the Wax Shoppe. Decent shine. It doesn't last terribly long, but is SUPER easy to apply & remove. Plus, you can run it over on the black & chrome trim as well, and it leaves no powdery residue in the crevices. You apply to the whole vehicle at once, then remove all at once. Can do entire vehicle in under 2 hours. Is a solvent-based cleaner wax, so will remove minor imperfections & contaminants. Not the best wax out there, but gotta love the speed & convenience. I usually get about 4 wax jobs out of a $9 bottle. My babies lead a pretty pampered life, so there's usually not too much cleanup/prep involved prior to waxing. Have done the multi-stage waxes... wasn't overly impressed, considering I spent an entire day of "wax on... wax off"

My 2 cents worth...

I didn't see S100 in there. Have you used that? Or do you have opinions on that wax?

so other waxes you want to try are s100 vannila moose wax carnuba moose wax i detail cars part time and dont use any of the products you listed s100 is an awsome wax for the money works well on metalics ive found that the moose wax gives a more liquidy reflection on solids

also rember waxing is only part of the job you also have to use a polish if you want a truly deep shine

i could do a write up later if i get ambsious

Very interesting article on waxes. I would like to mentioned that I have just starting using 3M Perfect-IT Show Car paste wax. It is about $18.00 for a container. I have used it with great results and applies with moderate ease.

Chuck Stebelton
1990 Mark VII Bill Blass
1992 Mark VII Bill Blass
1966 Fairlane 390GT
1974 Caprice 454 Convertible

I echo the Super Glaze.... I had a 1989 Honda GL1500 GoldWing, brandywine in color.... used Super Glaze on it most of its life, and looked as good the day I sold her in November, as it did the day I rode her out of the showroom.
I use the Super Glaze on all my vehicles... I have tried most others at one point or another over the past 35 years.... for all around use... Super Glaze does it for me...
http://www.mark8.org/users/pvteye/vettrike.jpg
Pic was taken one year ago...... a 14 year old bike 55,000 miles...

Rex
98 White Pearlescent LSC / 02 Silver Mustang Premium GT
http://www.mark8.org/users/pvteye/98LSC032a.jpg

Check out liquid glass. Been using it for about 10 years and love it. Its not the greatest protectant and not marketed as such. It is a silicone polish and has the best shine I have ever seen. Never hear of anybody using the stuff. Not sure why.

Police Motto: Be Polite. Be Courteous. Have a plan to hug everyone you meet.

I used to be a Super Glaze (Wax Shoppe) fanatic. Didn't last very long. Not really a wax per se' it's just a glaze. My personal opinion...for your everyday "joe" that only shops at Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced or what ever discount parts shop you've got nearby, I have had really good luck with Mothers paste wax. 100% carnuba. Easy to put on, easy to take off, very slick finish and lasts quite a long time. Try it, you'll like it!

I waxed Matt's Jeep (J33P3RS) with Sourvene by Pinnacle on August 30th, 3 days before he left for college. J33P3RS has sat outside, in rain & snow, sun & wind and sleet from Aug. 30 to today, 125 days, and today I wiped it off and it still glows and I can still get 3 "fresbie" spins out of a towel tossed with a spin onto the hood. Souverne is #1. At the Northeast Imperial Owner's Club show, more people used it than any other brand. #2 in use was Zymol and #3 was Zaino, in popularity usage.

...i've been using Mother's for years now, both paste & liquid, with very satisfactory results. i've tried some others...Meguiars Gold Class is pretty good as well, but i'm sticking with Mother's...

...i've been using Mother's for years now, both paste & liquid, with very satisfactory results. i've tried some others...Meguiars Gold Class is pretty good as well, but i'm sticking with Mother's...
i use alot of meguiers polishes ect but shy away form there wax its good but its a pita to put on and it could be better check out s100 its availible at you local harley dealership for around 15 bucks the truth of it is is that its a rebottle much more expesnive wax.

also check out http://www.clearkote.net/ even call the owner and talk to him he is a great guy with awsome service

Yeah I was actually quite surprised that Mothers was'nt included in the test--that's all I use--the three stage:cleaner,sealer, and polish--and the pure carnuba--I stand by it 100%--no ones car shines more than mine lol--but serious my car has to be perfectly shiny and have great depth i recommend mothers--water beads up great--great depth--not the easiest application but worth extra couples minutes for the extraordinary results--maybe we can have a shiniest car award at carlisle this year--see whos wax is the best lol

Back