Black tires WITHOUT that dipped in baby oil look?

M Darrah

Registered
I've just about given up trying to find a decent tire dressing that doesn't look like... well, the title of this thread.

Anyone know what to use to get them just black, but still have a flat or satin finish? It's got to be a spray, because my Michelins have some serious ribbing on the sides, and the wipe-on stuff just isn't practical.

RE: Black tires WITHOUT that dipped in baby oil look?

Meguiars Endurance. They have a high-gloss and a not-high gloss. They're a wipe-on, but you can just wipe it on and not worry about the grooves, that's what i do and it works fine. It might be a little glossy at first, but it'll stay clean for a long time and just be black, with no gloss.

you can take some westly's whitewall tire cleaner and any old stiff bristle brush and have them so clean you won't need dressing,they'll practically stay clean forever unless it rains,plus when you put stuff on your tires,it actually attracts dirt.

I wanted the same type of look as you describe. I found it in Eagle~One's "Concours Satin Finish" Tire Dressing. It's a spray on. 18 Oz. black plastic bottle $7.00 Part # 1080618. You can order it on the phone, with a credit card @ 1-800-432-4531.

[font color=blue]Meguiar's Endurance makes a non-glossy tire dressing. I actually bought some accidentally....but really did not like it......[/font]
[/quote]

Why didn't you like it?

Sandy: Is the Eagle One stuff not available in stores?

cadillackman: I remember using Bleach-White on my 88 T-bird's tires years ago, which had white letters. I seem to recall it worked by basically dissolving the rubber, or so it seemed. It did a great job cleaning the tires, but after a year or so, the tires started to deteriorate. I don't know if that's what did it. I'm just assuming.

No, it's not available in stores. They'll take a credit card over the phone, and you'll have it within 10 days.
Is that a problem?
They told me it's in SOME stores, but I made a habit of looking and have never seen it, yet. So, intead of running all over, I just call & order when I am 70% empty.
I would NOT spray it directly on the tires as it runs. I wet & then squeeze out a flat sponge (no ripples in the sponge) and I spray it onto that & apply by going around and around around in even strokes. Tires look very good. Not that wet plastic raincoat look, but rather that just unwraped from paper brand new tire look.

Try it. I think you'll like it, and it lasts about 3 weeks. It has ZERO oil or silly-cohen in it :) so it doesn't come off in the rain.

No matter what you do, DO NOT use Wesley's Bleach-White on your aluminum based wheels!!! It corrodes aluminum!!! Even though our stock wheels are chrome plated, they are plated over aluminum.

If you use Eagle One- A to Z Wheel Cleaner and any brand of Silicon Spray Lubricant, you will get the results that you seek. And as a bonus, the silicon is good for your tires and other rubber!

..........and we sure as heck don't wanna corrode those aluminum under chorme wheels, now - do we? :) :)

How about just some Armor-All on a rag????

When it dries it is a flat black with a TINY bit of shine to it.

Works just fine for me :)

Armor All is the single worst product a person can put on a vehicle. Before you joined us, (like 2 years ago) the members herein at that time heard the entire scenero that I went through with Armor All.

Here's the gist of it:
At the time I had a white Mark 8 (1998 Collector's-Edition). I coated the tires with Almor All almost every time I washed my car.
One day, I noticed behind my rear tires, on the lower side of the car, where the back bumper wraps around from the rear, and then comes forward toward the back tires, alot of little mustard-yellow "spots" - spots, but more like splash marks. I tried to wash them off. No Luck. I tried rubbing compound for clearcoat (DuPont). No Luck. I tried Safety Kleen Hand Glaze. No Luck. Finally, I took the car to a body shop. He looked at it and knew immediately what it was. He said, "Somebody put Armor All on the tires" ~ I admitted it was I. He then went on to explain to me:-

Armor All contains OIL. It's the oil by-product that makes the "SHINE". The oil dries on the tires, but remember that the tire is made with an oil compound in it. The two mix. Later, the car is driven thru water or in rain. The rotating motion of the tire causes the armor all to re-wet itself and then splashs off onto that panel on the car. But wait......That panel is also made with oil and the armor all seeps into the RUBBERIZED paint, staining it! The paint on the front & rear bumpers employees a rubberized paint, so that when the bumper bumps something and flexs the paint does NOT crack!!! The armor all impregnates itself into the rubberized paint, staining it permanently.
In the end, he tried sanding the area with the finest grain sandpaper going, it it STILL would not remove the mustard yellow color splash stains. Finally, I took it to my selling dealer who has a terrific body shop and they resprayed the rear bumper and it came out a perfect match, and the stains were covered. (gone).

After all that, I read on the Grand Prix board a warning to all Grand Prix fans about the ruination of paint to GP rear panels, especially on white or light colored cars. THEN, I (much) later saw the same warning on a Corvette board, and finally on a board devoted to Dodge Stealths.
As a matterr of fact, we have the warning HERE, on our LOD board as well!!!

Armor all is not only garbage, the company KNOWS about this and KNOWS it will do this, and will NOT accept responcbilty for the damage their product causes. They have received 100s of letters from users and just throw the letters away & ignore them. People have even sent registered mail that has to be signed, and have received back notice from the Post Office that the letter was received and still no reply from Armor All.
Urinating on the tires is better than using Armor All.

I'll try & find the warning of this product on LOD, and Post It Here.

HERE YOU GO:--
http://mark8.org/lod/alerts.htm
# 2 alert

Try 303 Aerospace Protectant it works great on tires, dash and under the hood. You can get more info at www.303products.com.

98 Mark VIII LSC
99 Expedition (Wife's)
00 Harley SoftTail

I like using my Vinylex. Not that wet look and doesn't spin off the tires. Nice dark shine.

i tired this the ohter day with the soalr car i help build and race jsut use some quick detailer on them ya know the spray stuff gives a nice look not to shiny but looks better than without

Just for your info, Michelin's new HydoEdge tire is made with a "shine" in the sidewalls. I just had a set installed on my '98 Conti and they look good. It's not a hard shine or an oiley-look but it's a very clean and even look. I have washed the car several times since the tires were installed and the dirt just washes off and and leaves the nice clean look I think most of us are looking for.
Goodyear is coming out this month with a new line of tires (Assurance) that also have the shine in the sidewall compound. It's a good idea that should save us some time and money.

I use No Touch foam/spray, but I wipe it on with an applicator. (I can't stand the foam getting on the wheels!)

It's shiny at first, but dries to a matte finish. I've never had a problem with it slinging off on the car, even when driving right after applying it. (I had the slinging experience with another brand I tried, and that can went immediately into the trash!)

Back