Chrome Cleaner

Trixie

Staff member
Well, now that I have new wheels, I've got to pick up some chrome cleaner. What is your suggestion?

RE: Chrome Cleaner

Well......If the wheels are brand new, they really should not be too dirty yet, so at this point wash with soap & water & (new) sponge. Then use soft 2 ply (Viva or Bounty) paper towels and lightly (key word!) spray a fine mist of Pledge on them. A fine light mist, and buff off with the paper towels, turning the towels over & over using a dry part to absorb the excess Pledge into the dry towel. This will put a coating of non sticky, non greasy, protectant on the wheels, which will go a long way in defreying brake dust build-up and road grime from having the ability to adhere to the wheels.

When the DO get dirty I like Valvoline's "Eagle-1" spray on & hose off wheel cleaner. Towel Dry completely (you know I use a lawn & leaf blower) and then re-coat withthe Pledge VERY LIGHTLY and immediatlely buff off.

Yes, Leo - I agree .... but Viva & Bounty are 50% cotton and totally non-adrasive.

As a matter of fact, when I got to the car show on Saturday, being afraid of scratching the chrome, I did use the Leo glass cleaner and Leo Towel combination to spiff them up. They weren't too dirty, but let's face it, winter's coming, and my car doesn't get washed as often...

Okay, if it makes you happy use Leo's towels to wipe off the Pledge. I tried to read the wrinkled wrapper and it's 50% cotton, 35% micro-something and 15% milled paper. It is soft as cotton and very thick, too, and you can throw them away afterwards. Gotta be the Viva Premium. I have Leo's towels and they are the greatest for wiping off my wax! I use the Souverne applicator to apply & Leo's towel to remove. Really shines, especially the Platinum Jade of the Town Car, much more so than the Pearl White of the Mark. I think because the Platinum Jade is a Firemist paint, it really radiates.

Trixie, I use Rain X as a polish on my chrome directionals, I also use it on my TC's lacquer coated aluminum wheels.
Yes, the Rain X windshield coating in the yellow package. It's a tip I learned from a friend who owns a couple of show cars. It greatly reduces the amount of brake dust that adheres to my wheels and what little there is flushes off with plain water. An application lasts about a month in the Spring and Summer, don't know about the Winter as I just started using it this past Spring. The only wheel cleaner that is needed is the standard car wash solution that I use for the rest of the vehicle. Be sure to follow the directions and apply two coats, avoid getting it onto uncoated plastics. I use it on my chrome plated plastic center caps without any problems. Try it you'll like it!

cool, now I've got lots of things to try (I'll be honest, I didn't clean them this weekend - they still look clean, though) and I have all the products already! :)

Back