Leather wrinkle removal

dsinclair

Registered
It's probably a lost cause - but I was wondering if anybody has had any success in removing the wrinkles in the leather seats.

I miss that nice tight look the car had when I bought it.

I thought about heat to shrink the leather back to orignal size.

Botox Cream?

Anything?

RE: Leather wrinkle removal

Too bad...

I took a tour of a Lear seat plant last year and they talked about putting the freshly finished seats in an oven to tighten up the leather.

I saw the before and after and saw mildly wrinkled seats become tight as a drum. I was hoping for a similar fix for butt creases.

Guess not.

Too bad...

I took a tour of a Lear seat plant last year and they talked about putting the freshly finished seats in an oven to tighten up the leather.

I saw the before and after and saw mildly wrinkled seats become tight as a drum. I was hoping for a similar fix for butt creases.

Guess not.

Sounds like you'd need an awfully big oven to try that in. :)

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...If you can read this, thank a teacher...If it's in English, thank a veteran....

I think they put the whole set in at the same time - plus the dunnage rack. One big pizza warmer.

I'm sure the idea of someone "unpopular" being strapped into one of the seats was the talk of the plant!

i ahve a big ass oven is any one wants to try it i dont have wrinkels otherwise id try it

Max;

There is a relatively cheap solution for shrinking leather ! ! ! It is a combination of water and sunlight ! ! ! I have had some leather shrunk this way that I did not want shrunk ! ! !

Good Luck,
Sonny

TWO PAIR , VII,s and VIII,s !

Conditioning the leather will minimize it a little -- but not take it out.

Pretty much anything else you could do is only going to damage the leather...

Just think of the wrinkles as added texture.LOL!:)

'Course, mines a '93 - so I figure the wrinkles are permanent and far too numerous to try to do anything with.

Wrinkles wouldn't be so bad - it's all the d@mn cracks that get to me!! I bought the car with only 38K miles, and the driver's seat was already seriously cracked all over the place. It must have been kept where direct sunlight was alway shining right on the driver's seat...along with no seat care whatsoever...

John
[link:mark8.org/lodnca|NorCal Chapter Website]
http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/Mark_VIII_s.jpg
'97 Mark VIII LSC
'96 T-Bird 4.6L

Since heat and water shrink leather, I'd imagine hovering over it with a steam iron might do the trick. But I think I'll just live with the few wrinkles my leather has. Has anyone tried such a thing?

Its simple...hair dryer, and spray bottle. I've been doing it for years. It isnt that tough to find your answers. Call your local upholstery shop. That's how they get their NEW leather seats looking tight when installed.

The other option is to remove the seat, un-clip the covers, and beef up the worn out foam padding underneath. Afterall, thats what made them wrinkle in the first place. Loss of support.

Get a clean rag, and some Hyde-food, or LEXOL. Wipe the seats down with a damp cloth(make it as cold as you can). then apply the LEXOL in LIBERAL amounts. Then wipe it dry. Set your blow dryer on lo-med(not high) Low fan speed/medium heat. Hold it near the back of your hand. When it is just about to burn your hand, thats where you want the setting. warm the wrinkled area until you can smell the LEXOL heat up. then spray some cold water on the seat, and rub the wrinkles tight with the LEXOL soaked cloth.

This process takes about 15-20 mins per panel, but when you're done, your seats should look almost brand new, assuming there are no cracks in the surface of the hyde.

When you are done, wipe the seats down with WARM water, and feed them again with LEXOL or hyde-food. Then, with the doors open, park it in the direct sunlight.

Viola! Your leather should look(and smell) brand new.

This is a very common way for most show car people, and restorers.
My seats are tighter now than they were when I bought the car, and that was 22k miles ago, with my butt sitting in them for an average of 3 hours a day/5 days a week.(and then some).

if anyone thinks I should be a millionaire for using this trick, they need to realize this is the method EVERYBODY is using, and has been for decades.

[a BlackIceLSC-VP LODNCA
http://mark8.org/lodnca
94 Black/Black M8
97 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8
see profile for mods[/a]​

not quite as involved but i usaly sue woolite and water to wash leather seats well after doing thisn on a pertucualry wrinkled car i stuck my halgens in teh door and pointed them at teh seat wala leather tightned back up

you can buy seat cover. not the ones you can buy at autozone, but much nicer ones just dont know where

Back