Wet Sanding??

Romer

Registered
I have a few small scratches on the hood of my mark 8 and tried the scratch fillers like mothers and meguiar's but the results are'nt good enough. I was thinking of wet sanding? Anyone have any pro's or con's to this or what not? I have the opalescent grey but it has custom chrome flakes in the paint job; eventually plan on getting the hood repainted with a more custom looking flake job ect but thats a different thing all together. I really just want something to make it look good but retain the shine and all that-so give me some ideas on what i can do or try thanks

RE: Wet Sanding??

I wouldn't suggest it unless you are experienced because you can damage the paint job if you sand too much in one area. Although with a lighter color it wouldn't be as noticeable as black but it sounds like you want to display your car at functions and shows.

David O'Donnell
'97 Mark VIII LSC "Maxine II" (RIP Maxine I, 5-16-03)
'91 Mark VII BB "Monica"
'67 Thunderbird "Molly"

Clear coat is not something to "hand sand". If a paint shop does it - they are prepared to repaint if they cut through it.

Today's surfaces are not something to play with.

What color are you messing with?

I actually had really good luck with colored wax on my black car. I was amazed. Takes frequent care - but it worked.

My mark 8 is the opalescent grey but has chrome flakes in the clear coat:I have clay bared it,three process waxed it,scratch removered it, tried some rubbing compound and polish and nothing got it out yet!! Just wanted something that would help hide it; the rest of my car looks like glass and is smooth except this little spec! So would wet sanding help? OR should i just leave it and wait?

If the scratch is in the paint then don't do it, but if it's in the clear coat just be very careful. Make sure there is a lot of light so you can see what you are doing and sand slow. I did it a while ago and it turned out better than I expected. The scrtches I had did go into the paint, but I stopped as soon as I saw the white paint showing up. Just take your time!

______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________ http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/forums/images/badass.gif
David J

how deep is the scratch and yes i know this is an old topic but depending on teh depth you could get it out with some DACP and some hard work

I can feel it with my nail-not too bad but it is there and it is noticeable, not all the way through the paint.

I dont imagine its all that expensive ($200 maybe?) to just paint your hood. Have you checked prices for that? Depending on the condition of your hood, it might jsut be better to paint the whole thing.

Thats a good idea lol but I just wanted something to get me by for a few months--I am in the process of talking with Larry at Fast Glas and getting a one off custom hood for the mark 8 something interesting with a scoop or what not; I want that mean really aggresive look after I finish up my mods---

well, there are some colored waxes, which might be able to carry you through til you remake the hood. THat would be cheap.....

Back