New Grill !

My New 8

Registered
Just got a E-mail from Torrie in ref to a new grill for my 93,F3LY-8200-A Genuine Ford front grill $ 239.99 Plus $7 freight
Just though I would post it incase anyone was wanting to purchase one.

RE: New Grill !

Yea, but not unhappy enough to shell out that kind of money...ROTFL!!!

The chrome strip above the grill is actually bothering me more than the grill.

But thanks for the info on the pricing!

Marcus.

........ new grill for my 93,F3LY-8200-A Genuine Ford front grill $ 239.99 Plus $7 freight......

:eek: Gulp......maybe I'll just re-paint it the color of the car. Thanks for the shocking infomation :).

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

Just E-mailed a company that stated they could re-chrome grills,this is the reply I recieved, Thank you for your inquiry, we can chrome plate any plastic as long is it is
not too flexible. If your grill is peeling then it is not real chrome, it
was some type of spray on. The grill itself it looks to be around 2 ft long
and and 10-12 in high. A rough esimate is between 275.00-350.00. In house
lead time is 5-6 weeks for grills. They are especially hard to do and of
course we would confirm the pricing once received and get approval.
SO if you think a new grill is to high,I will take a new one over having my old one re-chromed LOL !

....Like I said, I think one painted the same color as the car like the 2nd Gens will look just fine :).

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

I just had my car re-painted, and since the chrome was gettign pretty ugly on my grill, we painted it black. It looks Awesome! The chrome strip above looks great, and the Lincoln start floats out in front of the car beautifully. Still trying to get some pics onto my PC...

DC

94 Mark VIII, Black / Black

The Lincoln sales brochure says it is a compound called "indium" that they used to make the chromelike appearance. I guess it is more flexible and they say it would withstand a slow impact without breaking.

The chrome on the grill is crap--dont get a new one customize your old one and make it look awesome==i painted my the color of my car--the strip for above the grill the chrome cowl is $135 from 5star ford-=---i am looking for a way to get a custom look for my grill without getting a new one and with keeping it the color of my mark 8 maybe adding some chrome and removing some slots--i dont know just an idea

The Lincoln sales brochure says it is a compound called "indium" that they used to make the chromelike appearance. I guess it is more flexible and they say it would withstand a slow impact without breaking.
[/quote]

Interesting. I'd never heard of Indium, but it's actually an element on the periodic table:

Name: indium (from the brilliant indigo line in its spectrum)
Symbol: In
Atomic number: 49
Standard state: solid at 298 K
Colour: silvery lustrous grey
Classification: Metallic
Availability: indium is available in several forms including bar, foil, pieces, powder, nanosized activated powder, rod, shot, sheet, and wire.

Discovered by Reich and Richter, who later isolated the metal. Indium is most frequently associated with zinc materials, and it is from these that most commercial indium is now obtained; however, it is also found in iron, lead, and copper ores. Until 1924, a gram or so constituted the world's supply of this element in isolated form. It is probably about as abundant as silver. About 4 million troy ounces of indium are now produced annually in the Free World. Canada is presently producing more than 1,000,000 troy ounces annually. The present cost of indium is about $1 to $5/g, depending on quantity and purity. It is available in ultrapure form. Indium is a very soft, silvery-white metal with a brilliant luster. The pure metal gives a high-pitched "cry" when bent. It wets glass, as does gallium. It has found application in making low-melting allows; an allow of 24% indium - 76% gallium is liquid at room temperature. It is used in making bearing alloys, germanium transistors, rectifiers, thermistors, and photoconductors. It can be plated onto metal and evaporated onto glass, forming a mirror as good as that made with silver but with more resistance to atmospheric corrosion. There is evidence that indium has a low order of toxicity; however, care should be taken until further information is available.

Back