Good "Chrome" Strip Cover-Up

te

Registered
For those Gen1 owners whose fake chrome strip is peeling, looks like crap, is driving you nuts, I found and installed a solid black Body Molding strip....

It's awesome!!

I found this product while wandering thru a Pep Boys....

STYLE GUARD Automotive Body Molding
1" Embossed- 16' ft Black S3311651.
$14.00 per roll. It took 2 rolls to do the bumpers, front and back, both doors.....had 3ft leftover...

I ran a bead of clear glue down the self backing strip to reinforce the bond.....

It fit nicely right over the old strip....match the top of the new molding to the top of the crease and seal her right down the line.....Wipe up any loose glue and use touch-up paint to seal the ends....

Mine is the dark red, Garnet Glaze and it looks like its made for it..

Its big enough to COMPLETELY cover the old fake chrome, so you cant see it...

I even impressed myself on this one..

te
GEN1

(pics? I dont do pics)

RE: Good "Chrome" Strip Cover-Up

I need to try it my side fake chrome has spots on it. You said black looks good with the red? I wish you did pics.

RE: Good

Sounds like an easy photochop for one of our resident experts! (Not me - I'm just thowing out the idea). Norm, you willing to donate a pic of your car? I'd love to see what it looks like with the blacked-out chrome.

THANKS!!!

Im going to try some different colors too and see what the results are, ill let you know...

We all know that a Gen 1 will outperform Gen 2 Mark VIII.

And now that there is a post with two equally clean, waxed, well maintained and both gorgeous looking Mark VIII’s, we can finally settle this age old conflict, Gen 1 are better looking, doesn't it suck to be the ugly twin : )

Lincoln
Mark VIII

Time to revive an old thread. I recently decided to do something with my yellow, peeling "fake" chrome on my bumpers and down the sides of my Gen 1 Mark 8. Here's what I did. I bought a 150' roll(yea, it was enough) of 1/2" chrome pin-stripe tape. It is marine grade, and has a typical, peel away plastic backing, revealing an adhesive side. Once the stripe was placed perfectly over the chrome strip, and bonded well, there is a clear plastic film to remove off the top surface to reveal a brilliant, better than factory chrome. Here's pics, and the name of my supplier was: Golden Gate North. (707)575-4545 Santa Rosa, Ca. Part # S.S550C- Single 1/2" chrome Mirror 150'

BEFORE:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/390000-390999/390787_46_full.jpg

AFTER:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/390000-390999/390787_45_full.jpg

BlackIceLSC
94 Black/Black M8
95 Champagne/Saddle M8

I love how the flash made the sparkle show up, it looks just like it should in a commercial. :)

Back